Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

J

Wed, Jul 14, 2021 9:59 PM

Direct tv account holder has died I have been paying the bill. I want to cancel now.

I was living with and caring for my elderly mother. She past away about a year ago and I have been paying her Direct TV and Internet bill with her login credentials and my debit card. Now I want to cancel at least the Direct TV as I rarely use the service. Will this be a problem and what is the easiest way to do this? Any advise would be appreciated

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel" so you are transferred directly. Inform the agent the account holder is deceased. They might need you to provide the Death Certificate per AT&T's current security policies.

The service should have canceled a year ago since it was under your mother's SSN. So want to get this taken care of sooner rather than later as that goes into the realm of fraud or identity theft (usually not an issue in this case, but don't want it causing a problem later).

Any card used stays on file permanently. This is so they can charge it if there is an outstanding balance after the account is closed that is left unpaid. But as long as you properly close the account and either pay final bill, or ensure it goes to "Executor of Estate", then you should be fine.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.3K Messages

5 m ago

You need to call to cancel. Since you have all the account and login information, just say you are the account owner.

Constructive

Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

5 m ago

Or just stop paying. It’s not gonna affect her credit 

5 m ago

But I read that they would charge the card on file, and that card is mine.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.3K Messages

5 m ago

Contact your bank and report the card compromised. They will issue a new card with a new number and the card on file will no longer work.

• 

3 Messages

4 m ago

Good luck is all I have to say!! My father in law passed away in Nov 2019. I tried to get the account put in my mother in laws name (widow) and after hours of talking to people who thought I was a scammer I was unsuccessful! So I left it in her name and continued to pay the bill on a card with MY name on it. When I tried to cancel when she passed away June 1 this year and they didn't want to let me so I told them to take MY card off the autopay and they said NO! Then they finally agreed to cancel and there is a $69 credit due. I ask for it to be put back on the card on the autopay but NO they sent a prepaid card in a dead persons name (father in law) that is useless! Dealing with that right now! I am the executor of her will. Nightmare! I will never get those hours of my life back and probably not the $69!

Constructive

Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

4 m ago

The cards not useless just use it for purchases. My son uses my card all the time with my name on it. 

• 

3 Messages

4 m ago

The card is in a deceased persons name. I don't think it is legal to use it. 

Constructive

Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

4 m ago

It’s a prepaid visa gift card. 

teetertotter

ACE - Teacher

• 

238 Messages

4 m ago

This is the Directv number I have for death.  Mention you are the executor of the estate.  877-999-1085.  I have not tried to see if this is a valid number or not.  

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.