Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

A

11 Messages

Wednesday, June 12th, 2024 4:39 AM

Direct tv account

A few months back we switched from Xfinity to att & direct tv. We were trying to save money while running a business from home. A Gemini, genie 2, osprey, and 2 genie minis were installed. We normally have 13-15 devices connected at all times. After 3 weeks of trying everything that was suggested our house would not run efficiently. We couldn’t pull our cameras up our TVs would freeze continuously over and over we’d have to reset the router. This was like some 10 times a day some days more finally AT&T told us that since fiber is not available in our area, they did not have the Internet capacity for me to run all the devices that we run smoothly here, so with no other options we canceled. DIRECTV is charging us a cancellation after 28 days of service saying that the equipment they put in our house does not need Wi-Fi to run correctly. Well I beg to differ so what’s the policy or how is it handled if the account has to be canceled through no fault of the customers what happens to the cancellation fee then? 

ACE - Sage

• 

45.7K Messages

19 days ago

That is, indeed, DirecTV Satellite's cancellation policy. And they're right .... You don't need internet for satellite TV. Seems like the main issue is your internet, not DirecTV. Perhaps you can find a faster internet provider for your business?

11 Messages

19 days ago

Some of the equipment was connected. I believe the genie 2. Xfinity offers to highest internet plan in town. We have 1 gig

ACE - Sage

• 

45.7K Messages

19 days ago

So do you have AT&T internet or Xfinity?  1 gig service should be plenty fast for those devices. 

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

19 days ago

You agreed to kept DTV sat for 2 years or pay a fee of $20 per unused month when you signed the work order.  As stated DTV sat doesn't need internet to work connecting to the internet provides On Demand and paying for PPV with the remote, while DTV via internet AKA DTV streaming does.

Doubt you saved much having both services.

11 Messages

19 days ago

We canceled our service with att & direct tv and returned to Xfinity. Yes no problems with Xfinity now. My question is if AT&T doesn’t charge fees to cancel after 28 days because their equipment Will not function properly in our house why does DIRECTV if AT&T told us we were going to have to terminate service due to the equipment not working properly why doesn’t DIRECTV know this? Why isn’t it OK with them when I called AT&T and everything was done directly through them to connect service they said all my appointments their bills say AT&T, why is DIRECTV insisting that I pay when everything didn’t work properly? 

ACE - Sage

• 

45.7K Messages

19 days ago

While AT&T is a majority owner in DirecTV they are separate companies with different service terms. You canceled your services but you're still obligated to the contract you agreed to. 

11 Messages

19 days ago

From what I understood the genie 2 is connected then is connected to the genie minis. 

11 Messages

19 days ago

So then I’m supposed to either pay the full contract off or keep the service for another two years even though the TVs were freezing up continuously? If I’m not getting the proper service then why do I need to pay for the proper service?

ACE - Sage

• 

45.7K Messages

19 days ago

If it's your DirecTV satellite that's "freezing up continuously", then something is wrong and DirecTV should fix it for free as part of their warranty. If it's your cameras that were freezing, then that's an issue with your internet service. Again, your DirecTV satellite equipment doesn't rely on internet bandwidth. 

11 Messages

19 days ago

Cameras wouldn’t ever load due to internet but the tv would freeze. This is an older satellite that was here and previously used 5-6 years ago. Honestly I wanted to stay because they are cheaper but we couldn’t run our home much less our business on the equipment provided by att or direct tv. I was even apologized to yesterday by an att employee. Saying they never should have sold you this plan there’s no way this would have worked seamlessly not even the tv’s. 

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

19 days ago

AT&T sold off 30% of DTV and the new partners are running the day to day operations so what AT&T tells you means nothing as far as DTV goes. Since it is working then the dish was either replaced or the LNB on the dish arm was replaced or nothing was needed to be done to the dish.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

19 days ago

DirecTV is service by satellite. It does not need internet (what I believe you meant by WiFi). You may connect to your internet for On Demand features, but that is optional.

AT&T Internet and DirecTV are two different providers. This means they have their own separate rules. DirecTV has a 24 month service agreement. If you cancel before it completes you get an early cancellation fee (ECF) which is valued at $20 for each month remaining.

The DirecTV boxes connect to each other by wired or the built-in wireless video bridge (WVB) of the Genie-2 (HS17). Has nothing to do with your internet.

Your cameras have nothing to do with DirecTV. Those would be devices connected to your internet.

Bottom line is satellite TV and internet are two different entities and ECF for DirecTV is valid.

11 Messages

19 days ago

And yes, we had on demand and we had stream. Also, those use the Wi-Fi.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

19 days ago

On Demand can be wired or WiFi. That is just a convenience choice.

The point is that it is not a requirement of the service. Doesn't matter that you were connected to internet. It has no bearing on the service agreement for DirecTV. You pay DirecTV for satellite TV. Anything beyond that is just a perk that is not a requirement.

11 Messages

18 days ago

The only people that have responded apparently think nothing ever goes wrong on direct tv. There cannot be mishap's or mix-ups. No signals crossed. Every single person I’ve talked to has made a determination of my account from the notes on my account with out even trying to listen. I’ve been hung up on, told I’m crazy direct tv never makes mistakes. Issues with Gemini are very well noted the same month we had to cancel. Yes this was mid January. Things can and do go wrong. I talk with customers all day long same as you guys do but I don’t ever steer them wrong or act like what they’re explaining is not important. No one wants to address my problem because there’s no way it’s anyone’s fault but my own. What happens when a providers equipment doesn’t work smoothly or seamlessly and we’re running a business?? When no other options were presented to the customer who pays cancellation fees? And it’s awfully funny that DIRECTV and AT&T only don’t want to be connected to each other if there’s an issue like this. Every bill and every payment went to att. And even though y’all say Internet has nothing to do with it fine and dandy, but I had to cancel AT&T because they didn’t even have a plan that could make 13 or more devices work smoothly at one time and they’re not charging a cancellation fee because their equipment didn’t work right the plan didn’t work right it was a mishap. Oh they did offer to remove the fees I owe but only if I sign up with them again!!!! Omg!!!!!!

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.