Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

U

Sunday, February 7th, 2021 8:27 PM

Closed

DirecTV Hacked and Information Stolen

Why hasn't DirecTV reported that hackers have been stealing customer information? Most of us have received calls and are VERY much aware that you've been hacked, our data has been stolen. Yet, you've never come out and reported it. One of those hackers that called me went into your system and paid my bill to try and convince me they were real. Yet, you didn't want to hear about it and have never reported it.

I tried with no results to report hackers (more likely disgruntled employees) were in your system. They steal customer data and call us to sell us your services. They even have a legitimate DirecTV on-hold advertising system for gosh sakes! The reason this happened is that you used 3rd world countries when you outsourced your work overseas. That's why when we call we get a goat herder (actually his wife, in a tent) answering your support calls for you in a 3rd world country. All so you can save money while you leave security at risk.

Then those same people steal customer data and information and use it to try and extort money from your customers. (by reselling us DirecTV services at a lower price) They also sell or use the stolen credit card information from your system.

You don't even listen to customer complaints because they are route through the very people (stealing the information) we are talking about. You need a complete security review and to bring all customer service back into the US. You can even use that to your advantage while cleaning up the customer data breach you failed to report. You'll be bringing back jobs, increasing customer data security, and improving customer service all at the same time. Maybe some of your customers will come back...

Your customer service (Edited per community guidelines)!

Your customer data security (Edited per community guidelines)!

The prices you charge for your services are ridiculous!

Plus you have no idea how bad things are going inside your own organization because you can't even tell what's going on!

I can't even get people to cancel my account. The credit card that "WAS" paying for your services had to be canceled because the information was stolen from your system. When you read this, please cancel my services and pick up your junk from my house. I'm not about to put another one of my credit cards at risk on your system to be stolen.

Maybe you could start by making a public statement and coming out to the media about all of these things you are planning to repair. At least the public will feel like you know what is going on and you are trying to do something about it. Hiding this MEGA DATA BREACH and pretending that it hasn't continued for many months (a year) under your noses isn't working! Come clean and fix the problem.

You will not be getting any more of my information or money until you do.

Sincerely,

Mark (Edited per community guidelines)

Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

This is a customer populated forum not directv so no one is going to cancel your service nor pickup equipment you call to cancel then you take the equipment to FedEx or ups.  Failure to pay or return equipment will only put you into collections and ruin your credit. 

3 years ago

Well, at least that was constructive!

Perhaps you should read it, take it back to your office, and let them know what is really going on. To be "Constructive"!

Thanks for the update.

Please pass this on to your boss. I've been a long time subscriber and I can still see the need for repairs and corrections long after ATT took over.

Don't worry, I will call for at least the third time, now that I have a secret code, and try to cancel again in person. Because I like wasting lots of my time talking to (Edited per community guidelines). As I said in my message, I got ahold of a tent in some other country not long ago. Complete with farm animals and a rooster. Along with plenty of outdoor noises.

Buh-Bye!

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

3 years ago

You have to cancel by phone as there is no place to go to do it in person as AT&T stores can't do it.

You would be surprised at the info available on the dark web for anyone to buy about you.  

Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

We’re all customers here. I posted facts whether you like the answer or not. Sorry I didn’t sugar coat the answer for you. 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

3 years ago

@UnhappyCustomer4024 

Criminals use the "dark web" and social engineering to get enough info so they can access the account and yet make it seem like they had direct access all along. If someone calls with enough information they can fully access the account, or with limited information just make a payment. They don't have to hack the system when there are plenty of other methods that are usually easier.

The only way to cancel is to call DirecTV. When you get the voice system you can say "cancel" so that you are routed to the correct department instead of dealing with multiple transfers.

Also you will need to pay for your final month of service that is not prorated per the Terms of Service. Refusing to pay racks up late fees and collection active that is your responsibility. Being upset and accusing them of something does not make you immune from paying your bill.

Nobody will go to your home to pickup equipment. It is up to you to return the boxes, if they are still models they want back. Just make sure to keep receipt showing the shipper took possession.

How To Return The Equipment 

Go to a FedEx or UPS location with your account #. No need to bring a box or label, the equipment will be boxed it up & shipped out at no charge. The process takes less than 5 minutes. 

This is a public forum of other customers. Any with the "employee" tag are on their own time, not acting in an official capacity, simply sharing their knowledge. So no access will be taken on your account here. And remember that AT&T stores cannot manage the existing account either as they only send in new orders for DirecTV service similar to a 3rd party retailer. To manage an existing account, be it cancelling or something else, you call DirecTV.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Huh

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Well done. All true. All my Cinemax channels were turned on and costumer service could not tell me how that happened. Rochester NY news 10 did a story about people's info from Directv being available. They have Rogue employee(s) or they can be hacked whenever the perpetrator wants.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

3 years ago

They called DTV pretending to be you and added them since they bought all the info they needed from the dark web.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Batman1234567 

The account would log how Cinemax was added. It would show an auto log for customer calling in or added online. If from a outbound special, the account would be notated with the info.

Now if the account shows added by an agent, but no associated call, then that would be an issue. So if the agent couldn't tell how it happened, that says new or poorly trained agent. Callback and speak to someone else, possibly requesting a supervisor.

So there are more likely possibilities for what happened then "omg, like, DirecTV got hacked, protections against crooks don't exist for any company". A crook would gain nothing by adding Cinemax to your account as that money goes to DirecTV. Now if a bad agent added Cinemax without customer request just to pad their stats, that is a different matter (and would expect to be a terminatable offense).

As this thread is almost a year old, the OP made unreasonable requests not understanding how proper procedures work, and even made some racist comments, this thread will be CLOSED.

If you see civil discussion, have questions or seek other guidance, please start a fresh thread.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.