Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

rosie64's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, May 31st, 2019 5:17 PM

Dropped Channels

I Tuned In To Abc This morning to watch Good morning America What Is Going On With Abc.

Thank You

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

What channel is your local ABC and what is your zip code.

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

its probably a dispute due to station greed

check here

https://tvpromise.att.com/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I too lost a local channel.  NBC for 75979 is now missing.  I'm not happy 😠

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

contact the station

ask them why you should pay for something thats free ota

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Nancy22 wrote:

I too lost a local channel.  NBC for 75979 is now missing.  I'm not happy ?

There is a dispute in that area as Deerfield Media owns KBTV (Fox affiliate), but no other channels are shown affected for your zip code per https://tvpromise.att.com/ but perhaps it hasn't updated yet.

Just so all bases are covered, in case it is not a channel negotiation but something else:

What happens when you go to the channel?

What is the model of box?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Same here. Why didn't Direct TV tell us ahead of time And the message about alternatives is so

vague, I don't know how to find any (if they exist).  

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Edythe wrote:

Same here. Why didn't Direct TV tell us ahead of time And the message about alternatives is so

Because they don't decide when the channel gets pulled, the station owner does the pulling.

You will need to use an off-air antenna until the corporation that owns those stations allows DirecTV to provide them again. This is an all too common negotiating tactic used by these corporations to extort more money from TV service providers.  None are immune, so even switching providers won't help. This might be a good time to get DirecTV's Local Channel Connector (if you have HR44/HR54), or request a credit. 

Find out who owns those stations and call them. Request that they allow DirecTV to continue carrying them while negotiations continue. And ask them why providers like Dish, DirecTV and Comcast have to pay them anything when they get to use our public airwaves for FREE?!?  After all, these service providers increase their viewership and overall advertising revenue.  They're shooting themselves in the foot!

The FCC and Congress could easily fix this. Just allow service providers to deliver an out-of-area station when local stations get greedy.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Edythe wrote:

DirecTV cannot tell us ahead of time as they didn't have advance notice. A lot of the time when the local pulls this nasty trick is they just shut off the feed with no notice. This is a normal tactic to upset customers and get them to complain to their TV provider. So DirecTV cannot give us advance notice when they didn't have it themselves.

Ideally negotiations just complete behind close doors and we customers never hear about it as all goes as usual. But other times, becoming more often with local affiliates, they will pull the feed with no warning to get as much value of upsetting the customer as they can. For the full overview, including getting the name of the local affiliate owner who is truly the cause of this: https://tvpromise.att.com/

Alternatives are using a normal antenna to get the free broadcast, or streaming from the national network (not the local affiliate) website. If you have 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44/HR54) then you can call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 to see about getting their Local Channel Connector (LCC). Gets the free broadcast through your Genie and may even pick up additional locals within range that you didn't have before.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.