Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

M

• 

3 Messages

Friday, January 7th, 2022 8:06 PM

in motion satellite dish on rv

just bought a new motor home and had an in- motion satellite dish installed on the roof. I brought on of my satellite boxes from home for the installation but the installer at LaMesa RV said because it is an "in-motion" dish I needed an H24 box instead. Does this sound correct? Thanks Mel

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

2 years ago

All in motion and SD only dishes will be obsolete when DTV finishes the MPEG2 shut down.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

2 years ago

That dish is obsolete.  You'll need an HD-capable dish, like the Winegard Trav'ler dish. They're expensive.

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

What it is is a Winegard

Road Trip T4

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

2 years ago

Right. That dish is obsolete. It can only receive DirecTV's 101ºW satellite's SD channels. These are being phased out. You'll need an HD-capable dish that can also receive 99 and 103ºW, like the Winegard Trav'ler. 

https://winegard.com/products/satellite-tv/roof-mounted-antennas/travler/directv-swm-slimline-hd-travler

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

thanks for the info , I guess my first question would be why would a dealer install a dish on my coach that was obsolete . And second its had to believe the thousands of dishes on class A motorhomes are obsolete . Thanks again

ACE - Sage

• 

45.6K Messages

2 years ago

Some folks were happy with standard definition only DirecTV service, and that dish worked for that. But DirecTV is phasing out their SD services. And, yes, this affects lots of RVers. 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

DirecTV has been in the process of shutting down their MPEG-2/SD-only feeds. That T4 is only compatible with DirecTV's MPEG-2. You need an MPEG-4 setup going forward. That would be a regular slimline SWM dish that you use on a tripod/sled mount, or the Winegard Trav'ler if you want it more automatic.

This is a big change for RVs as many (if not most) were setup with MPEG-2 and hadn't updated them in years as they were only occasional use.

What are the models of each box you currently have? From context it sounds like your home setup may need a complimentary MEPG swap from DirecTV. Best to take of that before you are hit by the shutdown.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.