Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

ALERT: If you're impacted by the recent storms in the Houston area, please remember you can access important programming using the DIRECTV app.

F

1 Message

Monday, December 4th, 2023 12:48 AM

Local station removed over a contract.

On November 30, Directv removed my local CBS station, WBNS, over a contract negotiation.  This is distressing as this is my primary station that I watch.  I hope both sides are negotiating fairly.  I feel like I’m paying a bill and getting no services.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

8 months ago

No, your local CBS removed their feed to DTV when they could have left it on.  You are paying DTV to deliver channels by satellite so long as there is one channel you are getting what you pay for.  Read the TOS that states channels and programing are subject to change at anytime. 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

8 months ago

@Fredbarney 

To be clear, Tegna is the one who removed your CBS affiliate station not DirecTV. They own it so only they can remove it. DirecTV like other TV providers is a rebroadcaster, they do not own the channels. https://www.directv.com/tvpromise/ 

Tegna is withholding the stations they own as part of the negotiations. This is normal to keep rates higher or raise them further. Both they and DirecTV are negotiating within their rights, but it is the normal tactic for the station owner (Tegna) to upset customers to try and leverage them against the TV provider (DirecTV).

As pay TV is about the national channels, what you cannot get on your free locals, I hope you have other channels you enjoy. If locals are all you watch then I hope you are on the Family package, as that is the cheapest one DirecTV has.

If within signal range, use a regular antenna. Might even get additional channels you wouldn't have had with DirecTV anyway. Something as a backup during these negotiations.

You are getting exactly the services you pay for. That is channels delivered by satellite. And you have many to watch. Not a single channel is guaranteed as the channel owner's cannot be forced to provide them. So channels can change at any time. Your service is more than just a single channel, even if it is your favorite.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

45.7K Messages

8 months ago

All satellite, cable and streaming TV providers continue to battle greedy corporations that demand more and more money to deliver FREE off-air channels.

Check out this excellent video explaining why corporate network owners keep demanding more and more money from cable, satellite and streaming providers to deliver FREE off-air TV stations ....

"Local TV Station Blackouts to Happen More Ofter - Here's Why"

https://youtu.be/XXkmWUgllcc?si=eCzrWDxQaw7ncTR3

1 Message

7 months ago

No updates.  But it says go to tvpromise for all updates it's been the same thing all month.  But they want you to subscribe and pay more when they can just put local channels back on the air we are already paying for it.  And new shows you can stream without seeing the charge symbol 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

7 months ago

@GG75 

The only "update" will be when Tegna returns the feed. There is no "we pulled a point ahead in negotiations and then the channel owner swung around for a pass". It is either they got it back (usually with an approximate timeline on stations being active again) or negotiations are still continuing.

Every annual price adjustment takes into account the previous negotiations that have completed. I would expect that Tegna would factor into the next one. The more owners like Tegna charge, the more our bills will be.

They cannot just put local channels back. Only Tegna can return the feed as they own the station. And they are holding out for those higher costs.

You do not pay for any specific channel guaranteed. The current packages include 'locals', not any ones in particular. As long as you receive a single local channel then you are getting exactly what you pay for. Nothing can force Tegna to provide you their channels. Just the reality of the situation.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

7 months ago

It is the content providers that are charging for their programing, DTV only collects it.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.