Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Katehanson's profile

Contributor

Friday, December 6th, 2019 4:56 AM

Transfer responsibility when someone dies

My mother in law passed away. I went into the AT&T store with her death certificate to transfer billing responsibilities of both the phone and directv. The store told me I had to call AT&T. I did and the phone portion was   Transferred but not the Directv. I have called several times since September and have got the run round as to what needs to be done to transfer the directv portion and not loose my free HBO, which I’m now being charged for. Tonight was the final straw... I was told I had to go to the AT&T store (which has already told me they don’t handle it and it needs to be done over the phone). I am so frustrated that I haven’t been able to transfer the Directv and now am being charged $17.99 for HBO which is supposed to be free with my unlimited plan. Please let me know how I am supposed to handle this.... short of cancelling both my phones and directv and going to other providers. Is it to be done over the phone or do I need to make the 35 mile drive to town? And who do I have the store call when they tell me it needs to be handled over the phone?

sorry to sound so short, but your customer service has wore me out

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

4 years ago

DirecTV doesn't transfer responsibility and never has. The account needs canceled and a new one under your name needs created.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

4 years ago

The only time DTV transfers billing is when a spouse dies and the remaining spouse requests it.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Katehanson 

Very sorry, but you were misinformed. You cannot take over your mother-in-law's account. DirecTV works differently then AT&T's traditional services. In the case of account holder deceased, only the surviving spouse may take the account over. Otherwise the account must be canceled.

Though AT&T now owns DirecTV, the stores are not employees of DirecTV so operate similar to a 3rd party retailer where they can only send new orders for DirecTV service. As such, the store agents are not very knowledgeable about DirecTV beyond selling new service.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.