Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

The DIRECTV Community Forums website will have an upcoming maintenance window from 10/21 to 10/22. Thank you for your patience during this time.

N

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2024 9:42 PM

What is the regional sports fee for

what is the regional sports fee for? do I need it to get Espn andFox sports?

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

2 months ago

RSN are for in market pro sports teams all you need is the Choice channel package or above.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

It is not for ESPN. Depends which Fox Sports you refer to if that is part of it.

Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) are mainly channels in the 600s. They are for in-market broadcasts of professional sports, college games, and some special events.

Your in-market RSNs are included in Choice and higher.

Used to be the RSN fee was hidden in the package cost. A few years ago with the cost increasing and varying greatly between the markets, DirecTV itemized it so you know what you are paying for your local teams.

To lookup to see what RSNs are in-market, so covered by the fee, you can check the official support page: https://www.directv.com/sports/regional-sports-networks/ 

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

And for those that come across this thread, the Preferred Xtra package has no RSN fee since it has no RSNs. It is for those that watch little to no sports.

Preferred Xtra with no RSN fee is similar in end cost to Choice with RSN fee, so can be a good alternative for as long as it is available.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

@teetertotter 

Do you have one of those rare RSNs that require both a higher package and the Sports Pack?

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

2 months ago

All TV providers charge for RSN most include it in the base cost for their channel package.  DTV decided to add it as a line item.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

@teetertotter 

The Sports Pack can be added onto any package below Premier (as that includes it).

Practically all in-market Regional Sports Networks you get with Choice and above. You don't add the Sports Pack for those.

A while back there were a few select RSNs that required a slightly higher package and/or adding the Sports Pack, even though they were still in-market.

I would suggest verifying what RSNs you are using, because if they are in-market then you don't need the Sports Pack unless it is one of those special ones.

https://www.directv.com/sports/regional-sports-networks/

The RSN fee will always be there as has nothing to do with the Sports Pack. Instead of hiding the in-market RSN cost in the package, DirecTV started itemizing it a few years ago. The only way to get rid of the RSN fee is being in a package below Choice or going to the special Preferred Xtra package.

As a note, the Sports Pack does include a couple specialty sports channel, like The Outdoor Channel, that are not in any package. That particular one was the rare add-on for $3.50 (last I knew) by itself without the Sports Pack.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

@teetertotter 

Different regions have different in-market RSNs, which there are a few tiers of the RSN fee to match. But there is only one Sports Pack.

The Sports Pack gets you in-market RSNs when below Choice, may provide pre/post game for out-of-market RSNs (but not the game itself as still not your market), college games, some special regional events, and of course The Outdoor Chanel.

Based on your zip code you should get 4 channels.

Marquee Sports Network Channel 664

NBC Sports Chicago Channel 665

Bally Sports North Channel 668

Bally Sports Wisconsin Channel 669

All of those list normal as Choice and higher. So the add on of the Sports Pack you do not need unless you were using it for something else.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

You're welcome. I've found the Sports Pack confuses the average agent, especially if they do not watch sports themselves.

Remember the RSN fee will remain as that still covers those 4 in-market RSNs either way.

ACE - Professor

• 

235 Messages

2 months ago

"Depends which Fox Sports you refer to if that is part of it."

@Juniper 

The regional sports fee shouldn't apply towards the Fox Sports channels. Fox sold their RSNs to Sinclair a few years ago, which then spun off (is that the right word?) a company known as Diamond Sports.

These channels are the Bally Sports channels. There may be some occasional confusion when people think that Bally owns these channels...they don't. Bally bought the naming rights (similar to how AT&T owns the naming rights to the NFL stadium in Dallas...but they don't own the stadium itself.)

It's about to get more confusing, because I think I heard the contract with Bally is just about to expire and the channels may take on a new name.

But I digress.

Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2 and Fox Deportes are all available nationally with the same programming to all customers. These channels should be part of regular tiers.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

Yes FS1 and FS2, what used to be Speed and Fuel, are package based.

Some channels in the 600s have been Fox so RSNs, covered by the RSN fee. If some ownership change put them separate, fair enough, but the RSN fee should remain if you are Choice or higher (except for Preferred Xtra).

ACE - Professor

• 

235 Messages

2 months ago

Yeah...the regional channels are Bally Sports __city/area_ , NBC Sports __city/area__, New England Sports Network, MSG, SNY, Marquee Sports Network, MASN and maybe 1-2 others.

FS1 and FS2 are national channels in direct competition with ESPN, ESPN2, etc.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 months ago

What channels are in the Sports Pack certainly have changed. I remember a while back being things like Fox Sports Midwest before the ownership and brand change.

Looks like this is the most current list (showing 6/15/2024 as of this post)

DIRECTV SPORTS PACK CHANNEL LINEUP

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.