Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

C

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, October 26th, 2022 9:04 PM

Direct TV HR54-500

is there an external expandable hard drive that works with this model?

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

2 years ago

Yes, there is. However, this does not extend your current internal hard drive since only ONE hard drive is operational at a time. 

You can get an external drive from sites like WeaKnees. There are several sizes available to you and people have used upwards to 16TB before with no problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.2K Messages

2 years ago

Like most HDDVRs, the answer is yes. They can use an eSATA drive with fan enclosure. The external is used instead of the internal, so should be larger to be worth it.

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) has a 1TB internal. Though early days suggested up to 4TB for the external, there is no known hard cap. Some have used 12TB and higher successfully, though personally I find that too much.

The revised version of the 3rd generation Genie (HR54R1) was built without the eSATA port. The Genie-2 (HS17) after the original run (they didn't add the R1 to identify) were made without the eSATA port as well. Appears they were going away from the option.

If you have any regular HDDVRs (HR24) or earlier, they do have a hard cap of a 2TB external each. The internal is 500GB (or 320GB for HR22 and earlier), so I would suggest no less than 1TB for those.

And that external support is per box, not a cap on the account.

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

2 years ago

Right the only thing I can say about the cap is 20TB and I say that because 

1. No one is actually going to buy a 100TB SSD or some other monster size SSD costing tons of money.

2. SSDs aren’t really recommended for DVRs since they have a certain amount of read and write. The biggest HDD you can get right now is from Seagate and it comes in at 20TB!

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

2 years ago

Look on the back for an Esata port to make sure you don't have the HR54R1 that doesn't have the Esata port.

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

To confirm before I hook this up, I will still have access to everything recorded on my dvr?

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I bought the weakness external extender

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

2 years ago

You will not have access to anything on the internal hard drive once the external is connected but you can remove the external drive and access the internal but the Esata connector is not made for repeated connecting and is known to break.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.2K Messages

2 years ago

The internal is disabled while the external is connected. This is to prevent transferring of recordings as they are encrypted to their original DVR.

Old recordings are not deleted so you could go back to using the internal. However, be careful as the eSATA port is delicate and was not intended for multiple plugging/unplugging.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.