Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

C

• 

10 Messages

Wed, Jun 8, 2022 1:54 AM

Does D12-100 HR44-500 receiver have to be replaced?

I got an email saying that my older DIRECTV equipment will need to be replaced otherwise I will lose some channels.  This email directs me to call 877.376.8186 to make an appointment.  However, my paper bill says: 4. Advanced Receiver service - DVR & 5.  Advanced Receiver Service - HD.  Incidentally, I upgraded my equipment in September 2021.  Thus, I am kind of confused.  Is my equipment already becoming obsolete?  If someone could kindly give me the answer, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much in advance.  

Accepted Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

4 m مضت

@confused6037 

The HR44 (Genie) is DirecTV's Advance Whole Home HDDVR. It requires all 3 monthly services of HD ($10), DVR ($10), and Whole Home DVR ($3). You would have to get rid of that box to remove both DVR and Whole Home DVR. The HD service is now required as SD-only service was grandfathered in late 2015 and those feeds are shutting down.

If I understand correctly, the HR44 is the only box you should have. If so, then call DirecTV and request to deactivate the D12. That will save you $7 a month from the Additional TV fee.

If you were to "upgrade" your Genie to a HD non-DVR (i.e., H24 or H25), this would remove the DVR and Whole Home DVR services and fees saving you $13 a month. As always, an upgrade comes with a 24-month agreement.

Remember, restart from beginning, On Demand, and pausing TV are all functions of DVR. So, you will no longer have those if you get rid of the HR44.

If the tech is the one who did the prior upgrade, not your ordering it, that is where the prior issue came from. The Genie is not suggested for a single TV as is more capability than it can properly use and as you've discovered did not result in the D12 being deactivated resulting in continued charges you shouldn't have had. Any time a tech on site offers to upgrade along the work they are doing, be very cautious. They usually get incentive to offer upgrades and just like other people in sales, some may say anything to seal the deal (or do it quickly, but not properly).

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

4 m مضت

Only the D12 needs replaced since that's a standard definition (mpeg2) receiver and the mpeg 2 is being eliminated, this should be set up as a SWAP and not an UPGRADE , a swap doesn't come with a commitment but an update does, read the order confirmation email to make sure it's setup as a SWAP 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

4 m مضت

DirecTV is shutting down their MPEG-2/SD-only feeds.

The D12 is the last MPEG-2 non-DVR DirecTV made. HR44 is the 2nd generation Genie which is MPEG-4/HD capable.

Only the D12 needs replacing. Ideally with a HDDVR (i.e. HR24), but might only get a Mini Genie Client as HDDVRs are hard to come by these days.

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

4 m مضت

The OP can probably get a standalone HD receiver (H24/H25) as well since it does not take up a tuner from the HR44 and it is also classified as a SWAP. But, either way, I would take an HR24 anyday as that allows for more recording space as well as the amount of programs that can be recorded at one time. 

• 

10 Messages

4 m مضت

I deeply appreciate all your kind replies! 

We got DirecTV service in 2009 when the TV first switched to digital TV.  We used the original receiver which was provided in 2009 up until September last year when the dish relocation was needed due to the new roofing.  The technician upgraded both the dish and receiver for free at that time.  We did not ask for the DVR, but it just came with the receiver in the same equipment.  

I understand that our current receiver has to be replaced/swapped.  DirecTV says that it will be done for free in their email.  This time, I actually want only the receiver since my family does not use DVR at all.  I have this receiver/DVR in our living room and we have just one TV connected to it.  We have no intention to have additional TVs.  Can I request the swap for only the receiver and drop the DVR?  

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

4 m مضت

Directv will only swap the D12 because the HR44 does not need to be swapped. But since you only need one box if it were me I would just call directv and get the D12 removed from your account, and leave  the HR44 connected to your one TV. Getting rid of the D12 would save you the $7 per month that you are currently being charged for a box you don't use.

But  you say you don't use DVR at all. That really surprises me. Don't you ever want to watch one program while you record another?

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

4 m مضت

@TexasBrit some TV watchers are built different lol. @confused6037 you should probably try to get that D12 SWAPPED for an H24/H25 and deactivate the HR44 from the account. This way, you have a simple HD receiver and don't pay for DVR Service or $7 for the additional TV. It is worth mentioning that you also miss out on On-Demand, the DVR recordings, and Fast-Forward, Rewind, and Pause functionality.

So, just to sum it up, I recommend you swap the D12 for an H24/H25 (depends on stock whether you get an H24 or H25) and deactivate the HR44 Genie HD DVR Receiver.

• 

10 Messages

4 m مضت

Again, I deeply appreciate all your kind replies to my inquiry! 

However, it came to my attention that my account at DirecTV website still lists (presumably) my former/old receiver as being active for some reason.  I have just HR44-500 receiver at hand.  I am under the impression that this error of still listing my former/old receiver as being active triggered the said email.  I sincerely apologize for any confusion it may have caused you by this oversight. 

I am currently being charged $7 for TV Access Fee, $10 for Advanced Receiver Service - DVR, $10 for Advanced Receiver Service - HD and $3 for Whole-Home DVR Service.  I hope that this billing information is accurate for just one receiver HR44-500.  

I am glad to learn that my current receiver, HR44-500 does not need to be replaced.  I will remember the option of choosing H24/25 when the time comes in the future.  

I barely watch TV.  I am more of the internet person.  Other family members seem to be too lazy to learn how to record the programs.  

I am so glad to have found this forum since it was nearly impossible to get any answer via DirecTV website.  I thank you so very much for your very kindness!

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

4 m مضت

I suspect you are still being charged $7 per month for the D12. The first receiver/DVR on the account does not get charged the $7 Call directv and make sure the D12 is removed from the account. You almost certainly won't get a refund because they have no way of knowing you were not using the D12, but you can try. You might get three months refund on the $7.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

4 m مضت

detuch254 - I nearly posted the same as you but decide they might actually be using the DVR capabilities (that you list) without realizing they are part of the DVR functionality. Yes they could save money by using an H24/25 instead but my thought was that it was not worth the hassle. If they decided they need any of the DVR capabilities they would be into paying full price to get the HR44 back..  

• 

10 Messages

4 m مضت

I deeply appreciated all your kind replies and detailed explanations!

So, it looks like I had been had since I did not request HR44-500 myself.  The tech person took care of it.  I will definitely call DirecTV to request deactivating D12-100 and ask for a possible refund.  At least, I will be saving $7 from now on after the deactivation of D12-100 all thanks to your kind replies!  I will take your advice and be very careful next time if the upgrade/replacement issue ever arises again in the future.  I will ask the question here in this forum first before making any choices.  

At the moment, I am inclined to keep HR44-500 to avoid all the hassles.  My family members might learn how to use the DVR function at last. 

I kind of wished if DirecTV personnel could intervene to fix the issue/deactivate D12-100 online, so I posted the new question under the different criteria since I prefer to do things in writing/chatting.  Well, I should not have posted a new question at all!  

Again, I thank all of you who kindly and patiently replied to the questions by someone who is both confused and does not know much about technology at all.  Please have a great evening!  

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

4 m مضت

To make any changes that reduces revenue, you must call DirecTV. They do not provide an option to remove services or receivers online so the can discuss the situation with you.

Checking the forum before making decisions on equipment is a wise idea these days. Since the acquisition of DirecTV by AT&T, there has been an increase of agents from the AT&T side, brand new employees trained by mainly AT&T staff, and of course outsourced agents. The group of agents who understand more than just the absolute newest model is rather small. So experienced customers can be a better resource for guidance.

To keep it simple, call DirecTV to deactivate the D12. That will save you the $7 going forward, but unlikely they will adjust anything prior as there is only a 60-day billing dispute policy.

(edited)

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

4 m مضت

I am glad we could be of help...

• 

10 Messages

4 m مضت

Please let me allow to express my deepest appreciation for all of your very kind and patient advises again! 

I am happy to report that I was able to deactivate the old receiver (D12-100) and got the refund in the amount of $21 for the past payments for TV Access Fee this morning.  I wish if I could have caught this sooner, but it is better than never.  All I can say is that I could not resolve this issue without your thorough guidance!  

I thank you so very much for everything!  Please have a great day! 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

4 m مضت

That is great! Sometimes they will count the last 2 months and the current month, hence the $21 you got back. Better than nothing certainly.

In the future I would suggest when you make any changes, to review the following two bills. The first one to look over anything that may have been prorated for a partial month and the following one which should be the regular bill going forward.

And be cautious of any offers of upgrades or sales by an on-site tech. Do the research first before making a decision. That way you get the full picture of what is being offered.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.