Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

glsmith777's profile

Tutor

Friday, December 13th, 2019 10:56 AM

Does DirecTV still allow the activation of equipment from Authorized Dealers?

After calling and “chatting” with DIRECTV personnel on numerous occasions - without any resolution to an issue - I decided to try a post on this forum.

First of all, we are long time customers with our service date back to the early 90’s.  Second, DIRECTV has never had to come out to our service location.  We have purchased all of our equipment from “Authorized DIRECTV Dealers” and installed our dish, cabling, switches, receivers, etc.  And we are happy with the service and it works well for us.

We have been using the HR34 DVR genie for several years now. This unit works well and the ability to switch the one active mini genie between the 4 mini genies we have in different rooms supports viewers in our guest rooms, the garage or kitchen.

It is our goal add a second active mini so we could have 2 of the connected rooms be able to view at the same time.  We were told that the HR34 does not support this capability.

I went online and purchased an HR54 DVR from an “Authorized DIRECTV Dealer” as I have done in the past with other equipment.  When I called DIRECTV to have the HR54 DVR authorized I was told they would not.  Now, I never received any information detailing that DIRECTV was no longer honoring/authorizing equipment from “Authorized DIRECTV Dealers”.  – maybe I missed this email. And if that is the case - why would DirecTV bother to have “Authorized DIRECTV Dealers” at all?

In any event, I need resolution to this issue. We should either be allowed to activate the HR54 OR ( even though I feel this is a not fiscally responsible from a company viewpoint as it costs you nothing to authorize my HR54 ) send us an HR54 that can be authorized.

I am still looking for resolution to this issue.

Regards
Greg [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

4 years ago

did you deactivate the hr34

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 years ago

if your account has been moved to the att database, or is an rc1 account, then you have to go through directv.  no clue why, but thats the way it is now

you didnt actually purchase the hr54, as genies are not sold, just leased.

return it and get one from directv

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

Something in the new account system (RC1) has an issue activating boxes from authorized retailers. Since nothing has been said that this is intended, it has been understood to be a big issue of the new system. One that has gone on way too long.

All regular Genies (HR34, HR44, HR54) support the same number of Clients. Pair up to 8, but only 3 may be in use at one time. They are considered the same level of equipment so a warranty replacement gets same or newer model.

The HR34 is known for overheating and being slow. The later models have a faster processor, more efficient cooling with a sleeker design, support the remaining option of Mobile DVR (temporarily copying up to 30 days recording to a mobile device for watching on the go), and receive the new GUI.

The only benefit over the HR44 that the HR54 has is supporting the 4K Client (C61K). So unless you are doing a special 4K upgrade for the limited content, there is no real difference between those two models. As a note the HR34 as it remains on the old software, is now the last model that supports Caller ID on TV.

In addition to the Clients, the regular Genie line supports HDDVRs. You get 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and not dependent on the Genie to work though they can watch each other's recordings.

So the suggestion is get HDDVR instead of Client, and consider warranty replacing the HR34. Just be caught up on recordings before replacing as they do not transfer. And of course you cannot have multiple main Genies as only one "server" per account.

DirecTV or authorized retailer, boxes are leased, not owned. They went to a lease only model when they launched the 1st Genie. No difference in the monthly cost, just means you return to DirecTV when done with the box for as long as it is still a returnable model (which the HR34 hasn't been for a couple years).

4 years ago

I do appreciate the response.  First, if I could have returned the unit I certainly would have done that.  And "the no clue why" is what I am trying to determine. Do they no longer support equipment from Authorized Dealers?  Or is it a system problem and if so, will it be fixed?  Questions, so far, no one has answered.

Thanks for the info!

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

4 years ago

This is a customer to customer forum we have no idea what DTV/AT&T is doing with the RC1 account system.

4 years ago

Something in the new account system (RC1) has an issue activating boxes from authorized retailers. Since nothing has been said that this is intended, it has been understood to be a big issue of the new system. One that has gone on way too long.

Then this issue certainly needs resolution.  Since I have always acquired my equipment from Authorized Dealers this effects me directly and is the overall question of this post.

All regular Genies (HR34, HR44, HR54) support the same number of Clients. Pair up to 8, but only 3 may be in use at one time. They are considered the same level of equipment so a warranty replacement gets same or newer model.

Yes, I agree all support up to 8 clients (I have 4 clients presently).  I have no found documentation that the HR34 supports more than 1 active client at any time.  Additionally, DirecTV support (when I called in) stated the HR34 did not support more than 1 active client.  So they would not authorize a 2nd one.  Either way, I can’t fight the support people. (and yes, I did ask the same question from their supervisor).

The HR34 is known for overheating and being slow. The later models have a faster processor, more efficient cooling with a sleeker design, support the remaining option of Mobile DVR (temporarily copying up to 30 days recording to a mobile device for watching on the go), and receive the new GUI.

Yes, I know this, and its is the reason I am upgrading 

The only benefit over the HR44 that the HR54 has is supporting the 4K Client (C61K). So unless you are doing a special 4K upgrade for the limited content, there is no real difference between those two models. As a note the HR34 as it remains on the old software, is now the last model that supports Caller ID on TV.

Reliability/performance of the H54 is better than the HR44 (based on forums and user comments).  The HR54 has an internal SWiM power inverter.  I/O for the device is different.  There are other differences – but not part of my original question.

In addition to the Clients, the regular Genie line supports HDDVRs. You get 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and not dependent on the Genie to work though they can watch each other's recordings.

The Genie only supports clients – allowing software to switch the active clients.  Other HDDVRs can be connected to the SWM with a Genie.  The Genie and the HDDVRs all work autonomously, but allow all devices to share viewing (via whole home).  I am aware of this and am already using 2 other HDDVRs in my system.  All works without issue.

So the suggestion is get HDDVR instead of Client, and consider warranty replacing the HR34. Just be caught up on recordings before replacing as they do not transfer. And of course you cannot have multiple main Genies as only one "server" per account.

The reason I want an additional active client is, as you know, the ability to move the active client session easily between the clients (without physically moving boxes/cables).  An additional HDDVR will not provide this (and I have 2 already).

DirecTV or authorized retailer, boxes are leased, not owned. They went to a lease only model when they launched the 1st Genie. No difference in the monthly cost, just means you return to DirecTV when done with the box for as long as it is still a returnable model (which the HR34 hasn't been for a couple years).

I know this, but owned and leased are really semantics here - in my case, since I keep equipment for many years, by the time I replace it – DirecTV does not want me to send it back.  So lease or owned means very little.

Thanks for the information, was not trying to be difficult.  I have been using DirecTV equipment for a long time.  I still have an issue with DirecTV not supporting Authorized Dealers.  I still have an HR54 that I can not authorize or return.  Somethings just may not be able to be resolved.  I will attempt the maintenance upgrade my existing HR34 – good suggestion - thanks!

4 years ago

I understand

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

@glsmith777 

Fair enough on some performance improvements on the HR54 over HR44. If you do a warranty replacement of your HR34, you get either an HR44 or HR54 depending on stock.

The Genie absolutely allows HDDVRs as I have two of them with my Genie. All regular Genies only allow up to 3 Clients in use at one time because they each take a tuner from the Genie. Since it has to keep 2 tuners to itself because of the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature, that only leaves 3 tuners left for the Clients. That is why HDDVRs are better than Clients as more capability, certainly more reliable, and no difference in monthly cost. So with my own personal setup, as well as friends and family who have chosen to mix and match their own, I by first hand experience know the Genie can support up to 3 clients simultaneously and works with HDDVRs (HR20 thru HR24 and special R22). So you can have multiple Mini Genie Clients, just not multiple Genies. I do wish it didn't allow pairing with more than 3 Clients because of the tuner limit, but that is how they designed it.

Unlike the regular Genie line, the Genie-2 (HS17) only allows Clients. This is the one which forbids HDDVRs, which is why it is suggested to avoid it. Too many agents are hard pushing this system, which appears to make newer or outsourced agents less knowledgeable about other setups.

Getting through DirecTV you may be qualified for a free upgrade. Through authorized retailers you pay the one-time lease cost ($299 Genie, $99 Client, $99 HD non-DVR, $199 HDDVR). Either way it is still a 24 month agreement upon activation. So if it has been about 2 years since your last upgrade, and you want to add another TV or upgrade an existing box, then check with DirecTV so you don't pay a hundred or two when you didn't need to.

4 years ago

Thank you - Some good information here

Fair enough on some performance improvements on the HR54 over HR44. If you do a warranty replacement of your HR34, you get either an HR44 or HR54 depending on stock.

The Genie absolutely allows HDDVRs as I have two of them with my Genie. All regular Genies only allow up to 3 Clients in use at one time because they each take a tuner from the Genie. Since it has to keep 2 tuners to itself because of the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature, that only leaves 3 tuners left for the Clients. That is why HDDVRs are better than Clients as more capability, certainly more reliable, and no difference in monthly cost. So with my own personal setup, as well as friends and family who have chosen to mix and match their own, I by first hand experience know the Genie can support up to 3 clients simultaneously and works with HDDVRs (HR20 thru HR24 and special R22). So you can have multiple Mini Genie Clients, just not multiple Genies. I do wish it didn't allow pairing with more than 3 Clients because of the tuner limit, but that is how they designed it.

I never said that the the Genie did not allow HDDVRs (as I said I have two in my system also).  The Genie supports controlling the Clients by allowing the number of authorized clients (up to 3 as you say) to be moved among the 8 possible clients that can be connected.  It can not do this with HDDVRs. 

And as I said, I never found any documentation that stated the HR34 supported more than 1 active client.  Good to hear it is possible, but then again, DirecTV support has said it does not and will not authorize more than the one for me.  And I am having significant issues with the HR34 after 5+ years of use (rebooting, gittering, bad recording – and yes some of this might be resolved my performing a disk reformat).  I would welcome the added performance, etc of the HR54.

In setups (like mine) I move the active client (soon to be clients soon – I hope) between several locations – guest rooms, kitchen, garage, etc.  So by using clients – depending on company and where I am working – I programmatically switch the active client location.  Basically, I can have the active client in one of 4 location (could be 8 if I leased additional clients).  If I used HDDVRs, I would have to pay a monthly charge for each of them as they are always active.  So, additional HDDVRs are not a good choice for me.

Unlike the regular Genie line, the Genie-2 (HS17) only allows Clients. This is the one which forbids HDDVRs, which is why it is suggested to avoid it. Too many agents are hard pushing this system, which appears to make newer or outsourced agents less knowledgeable about other setups.

I am aware of this and would not consider the HS17.  The other issue (as you know), if the HD17 is down, your whole system is down. 

Getting through DirecTV you may be qualified for a free upgrade. Through authorized retailers you pay the one-time lease cost ($299 Genie, $99 Client, $99 HD non-DVR, $199 HDDVR). Either way it is still a 24 month agreement upon activation. So if it has been about 2 years since your last upgrade, and you want to add another TV or upgrade an existing box, then check with DirecTV so you don't pay a hundred or two when you didn't need to.

About 5+ years for an upgrade for me.  I talked with them today – new box coming out in a few days – will see what shows up.

4 years ago

Not yet - but working on getting an upgrade

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

The whole concept of the Genie was using multiple Clients. Intro offers that are up to 4 TVs refer to Genie and up to 3 Clients, the max that can be used at one time. This is how it has worked since the original Genie (HR34). The agents saying it cannot use more than have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, sadly. If something in the system is not allowing them to activate a Client, that is a different issue. Pair with 8, use at same time 3 is the same for the regular Genie line and even the short-lived Genie Lite (H44). But glad to hear your HR34 is getting replaced as too many issues over time (hence why hasn't been a returnable model for a couple years, same with 1st gen Client C31).

My believe of the Genie-2 (HS17) design is on many things AT&T is less about customization and having simpler setups that every can understand, and more secure to the rules. Since the Genie-2 cannot use anything but Clients, the user cannot violate the service by having boxes in multiple locations at the same time (account sharing). Genie with HDDVRs, even with Clients mixed in for specific reasons, is the best way to go for many of us. If they were ever to make regular HDDVRs again (SWM-only) that would work with the Genie-2, then that would make the setup able to be considered.

Hope everything works out with the new box.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.