Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

F

• 

5 Messages

Friday, December 9th, 2022 11:35 PM

How can I connect a wireless router to HR24/100

I have a HR24/100 receiver which has an ethernet port.  Can I connect my wireless router to the HR24 with a cat5 ethernet cable?  I tried and it says No internet connection.  Am I missing additional configuration steps or devices?

ACE - New Member

• 

5.2K Messages

2 years ago

Do you have any other receiver models (not including HR24)? If so, the recommended internet setup with a non-Genie receiver is the traditional Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) as it keeps the HR24’s DECA enabled which is used for Whole Home DVR. 

If you have just the HR24, connect the Ethernet cable to the back of it, ensuring that the lights are flashing on the cable to show a successful Ethernet connection. Afterwards, do a red button reset on the HR24 behind the front door (front where it says ‘PRESS’). Then, after the HR24 has restarted, rerun Internet Setup and you should be good to go.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 years ago

@fmt0929 

The ethernet port is only for connecting the HR24 to your home internet for On Demand. It will not provide internet to other devices. Your router must be connected to the internet for it to pass that on to the HR24.

As a note if you have a Genie, or were an early adopter of Whole Home DVR before the Genie, only one box should be connected to the internet as serves as the connection for the others.

Once connected reset box and then rerun network setup and see what it says.

Hoping that is at least Cat5e as that was released just over 20 years ago (2001) and had been the standard for a long time. Though Cat6 (or Cat6a) may be preferred, that really only matters for gaming or other high intestity usage.

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Juniper I think that you just touched on my confusion. At my home, my ISP stops at the cable modem. I plug in a WIFI router to the cable modem and I have WIFI through out my house. 

I’m wanting to do something similar at a location where I have Directv satellite. I have a HR24 receiver and it has an Ethernet connection. I was hoping that I could plug a WiFi router into the HR24 and get WiFi through out that house. But if I understand you correctly it doesn’t work like that. 

So what do I need to do to get WiFi this location?

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

2 years ago

To connect the HR24 to a WiFi network you need a CCKW (Cinema Connection Kit Wireless) that maybe bought online for a cheaper price then what DTV charges. DTV equipment will not provide internet to any other devices.   It sound like you need WiFi extenders. 

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Shannon02

you said “DTV equipment will not provide internet to any other devices”. I don’t understand what you’re trying to tell me. 

I want to make a home WiFi and Directv be my internet service provider. Do I just need a CCKW?

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

2 years ago

That is what I mean DTV equipment will not do that.  DTV is not an ISP.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

2 years ago

@fmt0929 

I want to make a home WiFi and Directv be my internet service provider.

What you are trying to do doesn't exist. DirecTV is not an internet service provider (ISP). They are a satellite TV provider only.

DirecTV only connects to whatever internet you have for optional perks. It is not internet itself, nor can it pass your internet to other devices (game console, streaming device, computer, etc.).

Think of the ethernet port on your HR24 as input only. It doesn't send out. That may be the simpliest way to look at it.

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you so much. 

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Shannon02

thank you. I was slow in understanding what you meant.  I got it now.  Thank you for your help 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.