Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Stryker5's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, December 15th, 2020 6:07 PM

I WANT AN ADDITIONAL GENIE LITE RECEIVER FOR AN ADDITIONAL TV

I WANT AN ADDITIONAL GENIE LITE RECEIVER FOR AN ADDITIONAL TV and I find it absurd that I have to pay $103 for a technician to come and plug it in to the house electricity and then plug in an HDMI cord to the TV then turn on the receiver then turn on the TV when I can do it myself as I am not STUPID.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

4 years ago

I believe you mean a Mini Genie Client, not the Genie Lite receiver (H44) as only one of those is allowed on an account.

A tech install is required in most cases of adding another box as they must run the additional coax line. The only exception is if this is for a wireless Mini Genie Client but only if you already have a wireless video bridge (WVB), then they can drop ship the wireless Mini Genie. If this is your first wireless Mini Genie then they have to install the WVB on the coax.

Even if you already have a wireless Mini, it is not just plug into power and HDMI and turn on the TV. You still have to pair it with the main Genie of course. Depends on your setup if there are any limitations to adding another Mini Genie (wired or wireless).

What are the models of each box you have now? (Genie, Mini Genies, and other receivers)?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

4 years ago

Nobody is calling you stupid. However the process works differently than you are expecting.

If I understand correctly your Genie Lite (H44) is your only box. If so then all options from DirecTV require a tech. They have no way to remotely see if the coax in that room is active in good condition. So they are prepared to repair or install new cabling or connections as needed. There is no process to inform them cabling is good and just drop ship at your request.

Even if you went for a wireless Mini Genie Client, as mentioned this requires a wireless video bridge (WVB) to be installed on the coax just like a receiver/client box. Once installed later wireless Mini Genies could be drop shipped, but the first one requires a tech to install the WVB. Also the WVB is an owned accessory ($99) not covered by a free upgrade.

As a note, I am not clear if the WVB is compatible with the Genie Lite or only with regular Genies (HR34, HR44, HR54).

The only way to not have a tech is to get the box yourself through a 3rd party retailer (such as Solid Signal). Those retailers may only provide equipment at least cost (i.e. $99 for a Mini Genie Client) and still comes with a 24 month agreement. This option is cautioned as DirecTV's new account system as had issues with activating boxes from their authorized retailers, plus the self-work you do is not covered under any warranty so they will charge if they have to come fix anything.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Thanks...I have a Model H44-500 and if I understand you I need a Mini Genie Client which if it is wireless will receive a signal from the receiver I have for the other TV or it could be wired. Am I correct in this? I want plug & play as I said I am not stupid.

I forgot to mention the coax from the dish on the roof is already available for the bedroom where I have the TV connected  just fine and laying on the floor in the living room for the new TV.

Here are images of the coax and the bottom of the receiver I have.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I actually understand what you are talking about and I did not mean to infer anyone called me stupid. It is just a knee-(Edited per community guidelines) response when one is frustrated. The people I spoke to are from the Philippines and do not seem to have the knowledge about the necessary equipment you have imparted to me to be able to help so I am in limbo for the time being.

However, when the Direct TV technician came to install the service for the first time (I paid only $19.95) he replaced the transponder to the satellite dish, replaced all the coax to both rooms and said that when I ordered a 2nd receiver that all I had to do was call, order one, pay the $7 monthly access fee and that was it. No extra fee for me to install or have a technician come out.

So I disconnected the coax in the bedroom, which works fine with the service. I then turned off the receiver and connected the coax from the living room and when all the checks were done I got a 775 error with no service. I then reconnected the coax in the bedroom waited for the checks to finish and service was back on. Why the living room coax, which is connected directly to the satellite dish does not work is a mystery to me.

So when I get the TV I ordered I will fiddle around or just call Direct TV/ATT again and see what they say.

You have been very helpful...thank you.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

4 years ago

Sometimes with initial install or a later upgrade promotion they will only charge delivery ($19.95) as opposed to full cost of service call ($99). Though if you have a free upgrade then it might be fully waived on that cost anyway.

Unfortunately you cannot split an order. So the install of the Genie Lite doesn't cover a later order for a Client. So you can order another box later, just wouldn't be covered under the promotion of the 1st one. Really dislike those sales agents who give the impression otherwise which gives the wrong expectation.

The $7 is for each additional TV on the service regardless what exact box it is. So at least that part they told you was correct.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.