Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

motomike228's profile

Observer

• 

3 Messages

Wed, Aug 10, 2022 4:09 PM

internet connection

how do I connect my wifi network to my HR34-700 DVD ?

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

2.1K Messages

2 m مضت

The HR34-700 is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable to your router. No other receivers need to be connected to the internet as the HR34 delivers the connection over coax to the other receiver (s). After connecting the ethernet cable, the HR34 should automatically connect. If not, go to Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, and Internet Setup. Once connected, do a red button reset on all receivers. This is on the front where it says 'PUSH'.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

16.8K Messages

2 m مضت

You need an external CCKW that maybe cheaper online, you really should replace it with an HR44/54 that has WiFi built in and are faster then the HR34.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

16.6K Messages

2 m مضت

HR34 is DirecTV's Advance Whole Home HDDVR (not DVD), better known as a "Genie".

The HR34 is the 1st generation, which does not have WiFi built-in for connecting to On Demand.

Like all prior HDDVRs, you can get an external wireless Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) to give it the WiFi connection. This works on 2.4Ghz only.

However, the HR34 is very well known for system slowness and overheating. The later models (HR44 and HR54) were redisgned for better cooling, a faster processor, and have the wireless CCK built-in. Unlike the external, this supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

I would consider calling DirecTV, telling them your box is dead and get a warranty replacement. Would get either of the later models, depending on stock, as the HR34 was gone years ago. That is $19.95 delivery (or covered if you have the optional equipment protection plan). Be aware that recordings do not transfer, so would suggest being caught up first. Also if it matters, going forward there is no Caller ID on TV as that was an outdated feature discontinued years ago. Starting with the HR54 they don't even have the phone jack anymore.

If offered an upgrade to the Genie-2 (HS17) I would advise extreme caution. This doesn't allow other HDDVRs, restricting you to clients and sharing settings across TVs. A all-in-one type setup that is simpler for the company but not so friendly for the customer. If you consider this route, what are the models of every box you have so you don't get bamboozeled?

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.