Announcements
Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

I

• 

9 Messages

Wed, Oct 13, 2021 3:13 AM

Looking for a Genie 2 review. Is it slow?

I’m considering getting the Genie 2 so I can get my dish off the roof and remove a lot of messy wiring outside. I’ve read some reviews and see that this unit has some delays when changing channels, etc. A friend of mine is also experiencing this. Anyone have any info they’d like to share?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.6K Messages

3 d ago

The Genie DVRs, including the Genie2, still require a satellite dish. Perhaps you're thinking of the DirecTV Stream box?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

3 d ago

DirecTV is service by satellite. No matter what model you get, you still need the receiving dish. The Genie-2 (HS17) is no exception. This model is unique that it doesn't connect to a TV, unlike a normal receiver (Genie or otherwise). It only allows Clients on the account.

There is the streaming-only provider currently called DIRECTV STREAM (3rd name of the service so far). Maybe that is what you meant?

• 

9 Messages

3 d ago

I’m relocating my dish from the roof and on a pole in the yard

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

40.6K Messages

3 d ago

OK, that wasn't very clear. Seemed like you were getting rid of your dish. At any rate, the HS17 is now as reliable as any other DVR model. 

• 

9 Messages

3 d ago

Yeah I realized that after I posted it may have been somewhat confusing. I can’t find any recent reviews, etc but it looks as if they were very laggy in the past. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

3 d ago

I agree the Genie-2 (HS17) is vastly improved from 1st launch. However, it is restrictive by design so depends on your current setup if it would be an upgrade, a downgrade, or about the same in the end.

What are the models of each box you have now?

Are you staying with the same number of TVs?

• 

9 Messages

3 d ago

HR24-500, HR44-700, C61-500

I’mmainly looking to just get the Dish off my roof and wiring removed. The way my house it set up, the dish is in the middle of my roof and wires are d(Edited per community guidelines)d across the roof in 3 separate directions and enters the house in 3 separate walls. 

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

3 d ago

Wiring will not be removed. First of all once installed you own everything but the receiver/client boxes. Secondly you will have the wiring from the dish going into the home as there is no way around that.

Only a single main "Genie" of any type can be on the account. Also the Genie-2 forbids everything but Clients. So both your HR44 and HR24 would be replaced. This means you lose all your existing recordings as they are encrypted to their respective DVRs.

As Clients can only use 1 tuner each, you lose the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature.

You cannot have separate recording lists or access between Clients. They all share what the main box has, unlike your HR24 which is a dedicated receiver with its own hard drive.

If anything happens to the main box such as power outage, technical issue, etc., then all TVs go down as Clients cannot work by themselves.

Like the other Genies, the Genie-2 does support wireless Clients (C41W and C61W). And it is currently the only box to have the wireless video bridge (WVB) built-in. So you could reduce how much wiring is needed as it would be wireless from WVB to the Clients and then HDMI to each TV as normal. Range is up to 80 feet in ideal conditions. To be clear the Genie-2 would be inside like your other electronics which is why you cannot avoid wiring completely.

A Genie and 2 HDDVRs already has more capability than the Genie-2. So personally I would replace the C61 with another HDDVR. But if reducing wiring is your main concern and the other downgrades do not matter, than the Genie-2  may be the right fit. Just remember it is up to you to remove any extra wiring yourself (or pay someone else to do it), as the tech will only do install, not remove owned equipment/cabling.

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

131 Messages

3 d ago

With the HS17, you will no longer be able to enjoy your HR24-500 as the HS17 strictly prohibits the activation of standalone HD and HD-DVR receivers such as the HR24 and H25. If you need your HR24-500 badly due to its recordings or some other reason, upgrade to the HR54 or get DIRECTV to come and fix your installation. Anyway, you shouldn't have to upgrade equipment for the sole purpose of fixing installation, why not just leave it be? 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

3 d ago

Do not "upgrade" to the HR54 as that is not an upgrade, but like for like. The HR34, HR44, HR54 (or revised HR54R1) are considered the same line of equipment. If you were to ever warranty replace the HR44, such as if it ever stopped working at all, then you might get an HR54 depending on stock. Just like HR20 thru HR24 are regular HDDVRs and are considered the same for warranty purposes. (side note: The THR22 is a TiVO based HDDVR which has no equivalent).

• 

9 Messages

3 d ago

I’m kind of torn. I don’t really want to upgrade but this wiring hanging over the gutters etc is driving me nuts. Plus I’ll be roofing my house soon. I don’t have a problem with removing the wiring myself. 

detuch254

ACE - New Member

• 

131 Messages

3 d ago

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up @Juniper 

the OP should just leave it be then. DIRECTV or a third-party service would be more than happy to assist in a new satellite installation location as well as wiring. If not, @Illini_Fan you can also do a self-install as there are many helpful YT videos online. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

13.8K Messages

2 d ago

Wires hanging over the gutters is not a clean install. However someone had to sign off on the install. You could consider having a local installer clean up the wiring after having your roof redone. Though the wiring cannot be removed as there is no completely wireless setup, it could be done much better.

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.