Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Our contract with Disney has expired. We appreciate your patience while we negotiate to offer you more flexible channel lineups and all your shows and sports in one place. Please visit TVPromise.com and UnbundleDisney.com for more details.

lseibold's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 15th, 2023 3:02 AM

New: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection" message

After more than 6 years, today I now get: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection.  Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program". 
I am sure that my old high end Panasonic plasma monitor/display (not a TV as it has no tuner) does not have (nor has it ever had) or support HDCP via HDMI (a single expensive add on input board to the display).  The Direct TV recorder is also very long in the tooth (model HD22 i think).  The issue is what changed today, and how do i get things working again without a decrease in quality and without a ton of money or pain?  Did DirecTV push an update to the box that broke things?

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

I did a slow hard reboot (powered off the surge protectors, waited 15 seconds and turned them back on) of all three devices (display, DTV, Yamaha AVR (3Y old)). After the crazy loooong reboot/test & rebuild process (like 15-20 min) of the HR22, the TV channels are now playing, and all seems to be good now.  I dont know if it was the Yamaha or the HR22, but i am fairly certain that it had nothing to do with the display itself, but who knows for sure.  The next test was going to be swapping in new HDMI cables, but thankfully that was not needed/done this time.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

9 months ago

DTV always updates HDCP whenever it is updated and usually if the TV is less then 2 years old so do the TV makers.  If you are not using HDMI then you shouldn't be getting that message.  You can try a red button reset on the HR22 behind the access door on the lower right hand side of the front panel.  DTV rarely updates the old software the HR24 and lower receivers run.  My HR24 says the last update was 10/22 but of what year is unknown.

(edited)

2 Messages

4 months ago

We started getting this message a few weeks ago in early May 2024. My husband changed the Component cables. Then we got it again today, May 19, 2024. We weren't changing the component cables again. I went to get a new HDMI cable. By the time I got back downstairs, we had a picture, but no sound. I unplugged the HDMI cable that was attached to the TV and plugged it back in. We now have sound. If it happens again, I'll change the HDMI cable. If it happens again, I'll call DirecTV. 

But I hope they won't want to change the master component. That will lose all our recorded shows. 

Wish us luck. Or if anyone has any other suggestions?

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

4 months ago

Does the TV have the latest updates?

2 Messages

4 months ago

It's is an older TV. How do I know if my TV is getting updates? I'll have to check the settings. But it is not a smart TV, so I doubt it is getting updates.

2 days ago

Technician came out for this same issue, replaced the receiver and the hdmi cable. Same issue. But went into the directv settings and changed the Aspect Ratio from 4:3 to 16:9, and the issue went away. Hope this helps somebody

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.