Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

K

7 Messages

Wednesday, October 18th, 2023 2:27 AM

R22-200 Receiver replacement. B-Band convertor?

My R22-200 DTV receiver died and I contact DTV and they sent me a replacement.  I noticed that when I pulled the "new" one out of the box, it had been "Refurbished".  I don't have a problem with that, as long as it works.  When I was going thru the setup, a message came up on the bottom that says "Band-B Convertors required".  I was able to complete the setup, but it tells me it is gong into low resolution mode.  I do not have a HD dish and this is not a HD Receiver.

I think that it can't get the signals it needs because of the missing "Band-B Convertors" that I don't have.  My old R22-200 receiver did not need the Band-B convertor, so is there something I am missing in the setup to get around this requirement?

I have two input signals going into my receiver (so I can watch a channel and record a different one).  Do I need a B-Band convertor for both inputs or just one?  I think probably both.

Last question, will DTV send me these or will I have to buy them myself?  I bet they have a ton of these laying around someplace.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

8 months ago

That information in satellite setup is  incorrect,  it should be dish type 18" round

blank for international/rb

Switch type is correct 

Tuners is correct 

(edited)

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

8 months ago

Once you correct the dish type the requires b-band message will disappear and activation will complete 

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

8 months ago

DirecTV has only had HD boxes for a few years now. They have been shutting down the MPEG-2/SD-only feeds as very outdated. Even the R22 has the capability to support HD (notice the HDMI port).

Sounds like an agent placed the wrong order because boxes available now cannot support the old SD-only dish.

What is the model of the replacement box?

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

8 months ago

Surprised that DTV had any left to replace it as it is now obsolete as DTV is shutting down the MPEG2 SD channels unless you get the free swap offer to add a new dish and MPEG4 HD receivers that will convert it to HD.  You don't need BBC. Low resolution mode is the SD channels.

90% of DTV receivers are refurbished.

(edited)

7 Messages

8 months ago

R22-200 just like my original box.  My old R22-200 was working up until a month or so ago.

(edited)

7 Messages

8 months ago

@shannon02 : In the setup it says that I need the B band convertor. 

Is there a "Swap" offer available to get me out of the SD?  More money I guess per month?

Will they send me the equipment and let me install?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

8 months ago

You got another R22? Those have been discontinued for many years and none should have been in stock. They are the special hybrid box, though listed as and SDDVR they are MPEG-4/HD capable but only in the correct setup.

What are the models of any other box you have? That will help verify what the correct options should be. If you have other boxes you 'might' be able to keep an R22 on the setup (special requirement for R22 being the special model).

DirecTV does have a MPEG swap program. There is no cost of the order, is tech installed (because a new dish is required), and there is not a 24 month service agreement. If you don't already have it, the $10 HD service is credited monthly (indefinitely, no known end date). Since you have a DVR you should already have the $10 DVR service. So the only change to monthly bill would be $3 for Whole Home DVR which is required by current model boxes.

Just do NOT say "upgrade" when you talk to an agent. Otherwise they do a regular order with 24 month agreement and no credit for HD service.

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

8 months ago

What do you have selected as the dish type in satellite setup?

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

8 months ago

As it stands it is an SD receiver that is obsolete.  Only HD receivers need BBC if they are on a legacy LNB.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

8 months ago

@shannon02  yes that's why I asked what dish type he has selected in the satellite setup menu

7 Messages

8 months ago

Here is what I have selected in setup.

And my legacy dish setup

7 Messages

8 months ago

@Juniper   Good info there. 

I would like to get what I've got going in the short term, but moving forward I might go to HD.  This is the only box I have at this residence.

They are the special hybrid box, though listed as and SDDVR they are MPEG-4/HD capable but only in the correct setup.

What's the "Correct" setup? I take it,, I need the HD dish.  A friend just cancelled their DTV sub and told me I could have their HD Dish if I wanted it. So there is some hardware if needed.  I think they have to send back the receiver.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

8 months ago

@KArthur 

If you only have one TV on the service then the box needs to be replaced. The R22 only has MPEG-4/HD capability turned on if there is a dedicated H or HR model on the account. It cannot be standalone MPEG-4 capable unfortunately.

DirecTV would provide the dish needed. There is no option to self-install a MPEG swap.

A direct MPEG swap would have been a regular HDDVR (i.e. HR24). With the HD monthly credited (because swap is required) it would have had no change in monthly bill. That is only if you have the same luck as with the R22 as regular HDDVRs may be out of stock as well per their newest options.

Most likely you will get the Genie-2 (HS17). The box doesn't go on a TV itself so a small Mini Genie Client would go on the TV set. Just like the original Genie line, Whole Home DVR is required so that would be your $3 monthly.

When ready call DirecTV to place a complimentary MPEG swap order. Make sure you read over the order confirmation that is emailed to be sure all is as expected before it is installed and activated.

Hopefully you can get the replacement R22 working in the meantime to hold you over until the appointment you get setup for the MPEG swap. The R22 like fully SD-only boxes have been non-returnable for years. But if they accept it back fair enough as you cannot transfer to someone else so only value would be a paperweight.

(edited)

7 Messages

8 months ago

@Juniper  

Just do NOT say "upgrade" when you talk to an agent. Otherwise they do a regular order with 24 month agreement and no credit for HD service.

So how do I ask for the HD service and not have to sign up for a 24 month agreement?

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

8 months ago

You are not asking for HD service itself. The MPEG-4 feed carries both SD and HD.

So you request the complimentary MPEG swap that is required to keep using your service.

Just be careful as agents are used to upselling "upgrades" and some may not be familiar with the swap program. That is why the order confirmation is very important to read.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.