Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

C

• 

10 Messages

Tuesday, August 8th, 2023 3:29 AM

Storm disruption

Why does a storm that disrupts my satellite service cause all my shows set up to record messed up by 15-30 minutes? It did happen when I had Dish too, but I don’t know if there is something to remedy this situation. It is very frustrating to have to reset dozens of shows..

Mentor

• 

208 Messages

9 months ago

HI Cathy:

During certain storms, the atmospheric conditions thicken so that the satellite signal cannot reach your satellite dish.   Sometimes that takes more than a few minutes to clear, but that is the exception.  It could be that your dish isn't "peaked" properly, and so the outage lasts longer.   That said, these outages are a normal part of the satellite experience, but they should be infrequent.   If you live where there is reliable high speed internet available, you could always switch to Directv Stream once your contract expires, and you shouldn't have this particular problem, unless the weather knocks out the internet too.

In your case, the signal disruption could be so significant, that it is also knocking out the time from being received from a particular satellite, even when your other channels clear up.  It sure is an unusual situation.

(edited)

• 

412 Messages

9 months ago

I wonder if you lost all the guide data and the times for the recordings somehow was shifted.

That is a real interesting one, and I suspect no one will have an explanation for the "time shift".

Did you notice if the DTV time was off afterwards? (you could pull up the guide and see what time your receiver thought it was)

Very strange issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

9 months ago

Even if the guide data is dumped programs set to record will record at there scheduled times.  This is a rare problem that DTV hasn't/can't  fix.

• 

412 Messages

9 months ago

It's almost like the time zone was shifted in the internal clock

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

9 months ago

@JAL123  it is the rain/snow that disrupts the signal.

• 

175 Messages

9 months ago

@shannon02 It's not rain or snow it's cloud coverage. If Direct TV went out every time it rained they would be out of business. I have had perfect signal during a blizzard.

• 

412 Messages

9 months ago

it's the density of the moisture in the atmosphere, rain, snow, fog, does not matter, water attenuates the signal. Also of course how far you are from the satellite.

Don't know why this is a big deal to understand, been this way since people put up high frequency satellites.

Anyway, the point is the bug in the software, where shannon intimates it is a known problem and not fixed.

Greg

• 

175 Messages

9 months ago

@gregeusa It's cloud coverage. Last night it poured no interruption in signal but if a bad thunderstorm moves in a problem sometimes not all the time. Maybe 1 or two times a year. It's all about cloud coverage blocking or not blocking your signal

• 

412 Messages

9 months ago

It's about moisture, in whatever form. I have never had DTV cut out from clouds, but in heavy rain.

Why do you keep arguing with physics? It's moisture in the atmosphere between the satellite and your dish. Why not use a general explanation?

You are not even the OP, why are you insisting on just one of many conditions that can cause an outage?

• 

10 Messages

9 months ago

It rarely happens if it rains or is humid. Only if there is a really bad electrical storm, heavy wind. It is all fine now anyway. It is what it is and they probably can’t do anything about it. Thankfully it rarely happens. I happen to live where it is very humid so to say it is moisture seems unlikely as we have a fair share of rain. 

• 

10 Messages

9 months ago

I don’t use streaming because we have had a few really bad experiences with our internet going down, once for 6 days, the next time for 2 days. We will eventually switch over but until the internet is 100% reliable around here I will go with old school satellite.

• 

175 Messages

9 months ago

@gregeusa  I am giving feedback about signal interruption due to rain. I have stated and others have stated that we do not lose signal during normal rain. I have also stated I have had perfect signal with no loss of signal during a blizzard. If you don't believe it that's fine. But I am not coming on here to spread lies.  So no reason for you to say "You are not even the OP, why are you insisting on just one of many conditions that can cause an outage?" This a forum. I am sharing my experience with rain and snow storms.

• 

412 Messages

9 months ago

First time you used the term "normal rain" in this thread.

Rain, moisture, clouds, fog, snow all are water in varying degrees.

Yes, no definition of "normal" but I have DTV in all but the heaviest downpours.

But the OP is the person who asked the question, and the question has nothing to do with rain, it's about the messing up of recording times.

So all this silly talk of degrees of rain is just silly.

Let's get back to the topic, there are NO situations where the recording times should get messed up, period.

Greg

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

9 months ago

It is rain fade that the OP says causes the problem.  You are correct rain fade shouldn't cause recording to be delayed/started late.

• 

412 Messages

9 months ago

Agreed, bug is ANY condition that changes recording time. I would bet that disconnecting the antenna feed for an equal amount of time would do the same.

I found a similar thread with more specifics on the recording time offsets that you also commented on from 3 years ago.

Seems to be a bug that is only going to get fixed accidentally.

Greg

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.