Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

ALERT: If you're impacted by the recent storms in the Houston area, please remember you can access important programming using the DIRECTV app.

B

11 Messages

Friday, November 17th, 2023 2:07 AM

Upgrade to HS17 Sanity Check

I have two TV's.  Both are connected to cable and the HR44 has Cat5 internet.  The HR 44 has a broadband DECA feeding the DVR while a HR22 in the other room doesn't have anything special.

I recently purchased a new 4k TV that is connected to the HR44.  I just received a Gemini and now understand that I need either a HR54 or a HS17 to display 4K when it's available.  I just discovered the shelves in my TV console are adjustable and I can use the HS 17.  Will the following work?

1. Remove the HR44 and connect the DTV cable to the HA17.  

2. Connect the Gemini to the HS17 using a Cat5 cable.

3. Connect the HDMI cable from the TV to the Gemini.

If I have this right will it work and I will still have the whole home connectivity that I currently have?

Also, can I swap out the HR24 in the other room with the HR44 I replaced with the HS17? 

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

8 months ago

The HR24 would be replaced by the Gemini no additional mini needed.

11 Messages

8 months ago

The HR44 is connected to cable and has Cat5 internet available.  It is connected to a brand new smart 77" OLED 4K TV.  The TV is connected to the internet and provides streaming services.  The HR24 is connected to cable and connected to a very old dumb plasma TV.  It is also connected to a Fire Cube providing streaming services.

Both TV's require two controllers.  My original goal was to upgrade to 4K on the new TV and use the Gemini to accessing everything so that my wife only had to deal with a single controller.

At this time I think my best approach is to use the Gemini sitting on my desk and connect it to the HR44.  I expect activation may be a problem since the order was cancelled.  I will end up with a single controller for all my television needs.  The HR24 remains in the system.

After this configuration is fully functional I can look into replacing the HR44 with a HR54 in order to add the DTV 4K channels.  Doing this will depend on cost and will also depend on how much I have recorded on the HR44 that will go away.  This approach should also simplify the problem for the DTV representative.

Does anyone see a problem with this approach.

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

8 months ago

The Gemini needs to be connect to the 4K TV to provide 4K programs.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

8 months ago

If you keep the Gemini (C71WK), one of the requires for 4K is that it is on the 4K TV itself. You do need the HR54 on the setup, but it will be on a different TV. 

This is because the 4K requirements updated when the HR54 was too far into production. Instead of scrapping all those motherboards, they shifted to 4K delivered by the Client instead.

Only the Gemini supports streaming apps. This does simply for a single remote on that one TV. The other will still use two (DirecTV and Firecube).

Gemini would expect to have used your free upgrade. As you already have it, and you are concerned with your wife only using a single remote, it sounds like that is more important than the limited 4K content and would be best just to activate that and reconsider 4K when next ready for a free upgrade

11 Messages

8 months ago

Juniper.  I don't see a need for a HR54 with this configuration.  HR44 co-located with Gemini and connected to the new 4K TV.  I should be able to watch any 4K program that is streamed through the Gemini.  Directv programs will not display any 4K programs.  No change to the HR24 receiver connected to the old TV.

4K on the Directv satellite channels will be put on hold until later.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.8K Messages

8 months ago

Correct that you will have to wait on 4K satellite channels until you have the HR54 or newer.

Not sure how much streaming 4K the Gemini will get. But perhaps that only affects DirecTV content and outside apps can use 4K.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.