Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

DTVTiVo09384's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, July 13th, 2019 5:14 PM

Using Directv With TiVo

I have an old Directv receiver, probably about 10 years old. I also have a TiVo Series2 DVR that is connected to this receiver. The setup works very well. However, I'm going to have to upgrade my Directv receiver soon in order to get local channels. What Directv receiver could I upgrade to that would still allow me to use my TiVo Series2 DVR with it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

5 years ago

You will not receive any channels with the Series2 as DTV is shutting down the MPEG2 SD channels and I assume it will no longer get authorizations so it will become a boat anchor.  You can still lease a THR22 from online dealers DTVs only Tivo'ed receiver but it doesn't do Whole Home and some have trouble connecting to the internet.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

@shannon02 I’m pretty sure the op is talking about a stand alone TiVo, not a Directv receiver with TiVo. I believe the OP’s 10 year old non DVR Directv receiver has the video output going to the Tivo’s video input.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

@DTVTiVo09384 wrote:

My Directv box is model D11.  It is plugged in to my TiVo Series2 DVR using the red/white/yellow composite/RCA cables.

Again, every current Directv receiver is capable of outputting composite video. If all you want is a non DVR receiver, the H24 is probably the one to choose but if I were you, I’d get a DVR and ditch the TiVo. I had the first Directv TiVo and later the first HD Directv TiVo boxes. I had no issue switching to Directv’s DVR and if you have an HD TV, you really are missing out not going HD, IMHO.

ACE - Expert

• 

1.9K Messages

5 years ago

I’m fairly sure any current receiver will work with your TiVo but not sure why you would want to as your TiVo only has s-video and composite video inputs. You seriously still don’t do high definition? In any event, I believe all DTV receivers can output standard video. If you get a genie, it has DVR functionality built in, no TiVo needed.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.2K Messages

5 years ago

@DTVTiVo09384 

What model is your current DirecTV box?

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

My Directv box is model D11.  It is plugged in to my TiVo Series2 DVR using the red/white/yellow composite/RCA cables.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the information.  What I'm actually more interested in is how to record to DVD.  I saw several different threads regarding this and it seems like it would work with most setups.  My current signal setup uses all composite/RCA cables going from the Directv D11 receiver, to my TiVo Series2 DVR, to a VHS/DVD Recorder, to the TV.  I read something about copy protection preventing copying to DVDs at certain times. Every once-in-a-while I will get that message with my current setup, usually right after a system reset, but then if I reset it again the message goes away and it allows me to copy to DVD.

Are there any receivers that would make it more difficult to copy to DVD?

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.