Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

ddunk1946's profile
ddunk1946
#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
The 5th element!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Wed, Jul 14, 2021 6:25 PM

What is new DTV hardware?

We are under AT&T's Hardware Protection Plan and received a notice a while back that we were eligible for new hardware. However, a call to AT&T did not give us useful information. I don't think we need new hardware (experiencing no problems at all) but, if the replacements are a step up in capability, we might consider it.

Who would know what the 'new' hardware is? If it's just a fresh DVR and set-top boxes, I don't think it's worth the effort at this time.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

DD

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

You have 5 TVs from a HR54 (3rd generation Genie) and 4 C61 (Mini Genie Clients)? Then you have a problem setup. The Genie can only use up to 3 Clients at the same time as they each take a tuner, and the Genie keeps 2 of its 5 tuners to itself because of Picture in Picture (PiP). So you have 1 more Client than the Genie can support simultaneously.

The ideal upgrade would be upgrading a Client to an HDDVR. That would have 2 tuners and 500GB recording space, allowing you the potential to use all TVs at the same time (so fully what you are paying for). Plus you don't lose the existing recordings of your HR54. And still have the freedom to do the same for any other Clients. Upgrade would cover the first one free, but any others at the same time (or later but before you qualify for a free upgrade again) would have a one-time lease cost of $199 (each).

Now the last regular HDDVR made is the HR24, which stock is dwindling. They might switch to only the Genie-2 (HS17) as an upgrade option. That is 7 tuners and 2TB space, but forbids all receivers. It would require replacing the HR54 with a Client, as the HS17 is a Headless Server tower (meaning it doesn't go on a TV itself). As Clients only use 1 tuner each, there is no PiP.

Personally, while still available I would replace a Client with an HDDVR. By comparison, a Genie and 2 HDDVRs is already more capable (9 tuners total) than the Genie-2 setup. Plus if ever the Genie goes down (technical issue, unplugged from power, etc.) all Clients go with it, but any HDDVRs would still work as they are a full receiver instead of a Client.

When it comes to satellite TV, the manufacture date means nothing. They are not creating new tech by leaps and bounds every year. So HR54 and C61 are still the newest regular Genie and Mini Genies. The Genie-2 (HS17) though newer, has a restrictive setup which is ok for some people who get overwhelmed by flexibility.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

Glad to help. If you are never concerned about watching (not just recording) on all TVs at the same time, then sounds like your setup is fine for what you have.

Until there is something new launched, in my opinion the only upgrades to consider would be swapping a Client for an HDDVR (my personal suggestion as makes it a more reliable setup), or if you ever get a 4K TV to get the 4K Client (only a couple 4K channels at this time, and only 1 TV at a time can use a 4K channel, even with multiple 4K Clients). Either option is no change in the monthly bill as you have all the receiver services, but would come with a 24 month agreement.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

5 m ago

The protection guarantees an exact date when you would be qualified for a free upgrade of equipment. But that doesn't guarantee there would be better equipment at that time. With some information, guidance can be provided on what would be a upgrade to consider or if it might be better to stay with your setup as it is now.

What are the models of every box you have now?

Are you considering adding any TVs?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 m ago

The HS17 Genie2 is the latest equipment being installed. 

ddunk1946

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 m ago

Yes, apologies. I knew that wasn't enough information. Was just off the phone, arguing/discussing another issue with AT&T and dashed off that question. We have 5 TVs and, no, not considering adding another. Our DVR is an HR54-700 and all set-top boxes appear to be C61-500-Rs. All with a 2016 manufacturer's date... Yes, that's my point; not sure the (anticipated) hassle would be worth it, but that's probably just me. :-)

Thanks for the reply.

DD

ddunk1946

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 m ago

Good information, thank you! I've been in and out of high-technology since the late 70's but that didn't include exposure to TV/Cable/Satellite entertainment. With computers/servers, there was alway something newerfastercheapersmarter on the horizon. Technological prowess/advancement in these (TV) systems has been slower...Anyway, thank you!

Now that I see what the capabilities/possibilities are, for what it's worth, we never run up against the limits of the HR54, meaning that we don't demand that all 5 record something simultaneously. 5 TVs is mostly a conceit with a set in the kitchen, master bath, master bedroom, living room and an upstairs bedroom. Have never used PiP, although I'm aware of it. So, basically we don't ask a lot of our system, it seems.

Valuable information; I may revisit this with you at a later date, if I may.

Thanks very much!

DD

ddunk1946

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

4 m ago

Yep, it sounds like we're fine for now. We did just replace our 11 year old 55" Visio in the living room with an LG smart/4k of the same size. I know that the 4k 'pickin's are slim' but 4k doesn't get me revved up for now. Again, thanks so much for your interest and help!

Be well!

DD

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 m ago

You're very welcome.

I myself would stay away from a 4K setup until there is a 4K DVR, instead of a Client being the only option. Very little content in 4K anyway at this time.

The setup you have now sounds like it works just fine for you. So until there is another advancement in the tech, only upgrade I would consider is replacing one Client with an HDDVR to remove the issue mentioned. Otherwise just check back every year or two for any new options.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.