Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

craebug's profile

Contributor

Wednesday, September 11th, 2019 6:14 PM

What is the monthly cost of the genie?

I recently upgraded all my receivers to the wireless genie. So I have a total of 3 mini wireless receivers and one main genie that broadcasts the signal to the receivers.  I have had 2 different techs out for other issues and both told me that I am still being charged for my old receivers.  I called billing, and they said my bill is correct.  But, if it is.. . then why would 2 different techs, on 2 different occasions tell me (without asking) that I am being overcharged and I need to call and tell them to remove $20 worth of charges??

Here's my charges:

TV access fee.....   $7

TV access fee …..  $7

TV access fee $7 off 1st TV... $0

Advanced receiver service - DVR  ….  $10

Advanced receiver service - HD  ……. $10

Whole home DVR service …………..     $3

Thanks for any help!

Christy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

that looks correct

each mini is $7 a month (any receiver is $7 a month)

the main genie comes with the hd/dvr/whole home fee

you cannot get rid of this charge

what may be confusing the techs is that this is the old way of doing it

the new way its all lumped into 1 fee, but the free first receiver is also gone that way

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

5 years ago

You're actually being undercharged if you have 4 , 1 genie and 3 minis, you're not being charged for the 3rd mini. Unless you have the genie 2, which doesn't get billed since it doesn't connect to a TV 

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

5 years ago

the main might be the hs17, which should not have a tv fee

ACE - Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

5 years ago

@mdram4x4  yeah that was an after thought I had so I edited my reply but other than that it's correct.

Contributor

5 years ago

thanks!

Contributor

5 years ago

thanks so much! That makes sense! appreciate your help!

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

5 years ago

1st TV is included in the package, that is the $0.

It is $7 for each TV beyond the first. Doesn't matter if Client, HD non-DVR, or HDDVR as you are paying for the authorized TV.

The only charges are receiver services. Since the Genie is DirecTV's Advance Whole Home HDDVR then you pay for HD, DVR, and Whole Home DVR services ($10, $10, $3). These cover the account and are not charged per TV.

The only issue is you say you have a Genie and 3 wireless Clients. That would normally be a total of 3 additional TV/Client fees. Unless you have the Genie-2 (HS17) as it doesn't go on a TV itself so there is no TV fee there. So what you listed is only correct if you have a total of 3 TVs.

If you have the Genie-2 (HS17) be aware that you are hard capped. It doesn't allow full receivers, so is stuck at a max of 7 tuners and Clients cannot work without the main box, so it becomes a single point of failure. A regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) is more capable as a Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners. Plus a more reliable system as each box can work independently of the others. But of course, only Clients have a wireless version.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.