Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

S

• 

4 Messages

Sun, Jan 9, 2022 9:10 PM

With New UHD TV, DirecTV Looks Awful. I suspect Box Upgrades Needed?

Hi All -  New to the forums.  Have found this community more helpful/informative than DTV phone tech support. 

Here is the issue... Just purchased a LG UHD. Connected it last night in the bedroom and DTV content looks SD, at best.  Steaming content (Netflix, Hulu, etc. looks great).  Obviously, has to be a box issue, right? Or, is it something far easier, like I am using an old HDMI connector (can't be that easy, right)?

I have an HR-44-500 connected to the living room TV (which is not a UHD/4K TV) and 3 C51-100 mini Genies connected to other TVs in the house, 2 of which are not UHD and the one new UHD TV in the bedroom.  Everything looks great, except the new TV. 

What new boxes do I need?  Do all boxes need to be swapped out?  Appreciate the guidance!

Accepted Solution

• 

4 Messages

6 d ago

*Update* I tried every solution listed in this thread and nothing worked.  I brought the TV back, purchased another brand and... it displays DTV content very well.  Content from the streamers looks incredible.  DTV tech support had me getting new boxes (and a new contract).  Good stuff, all.  I appreciate the help/guidance.  TY!

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

13.5K Messages

8 d ago

No, you don't need any new boxes. Something is wrong with the setup on your new TV

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.7K Messages

8 d ago

You need an HR54 and a C61K connected to the 4K TV to watch  4K programs.  DTV will try to get you to upgrade to the HS17 Genie2.  Either way you have a new 2 yr contract.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

8 d ago

Something is wrong with the setup on your new TV

Or if “DTV content looks SD”, the resolution of the DTV receiver is probably set to 480i or 480p. 

• 

4 Messages

8 d ago

Thanks, all.  I am going to reset the new LG UHD and go through the setup again to see if I can get it to display DirecTV content correctly. Shannon, thanks for the note on the 4K content.  At this point, I am not burning to watch the few channels DTV has in 4K.  I am sure that will change at some point, but for now, I would be ecstatic if I can get everything to resemble 1080P. 

• 

4 Messages

8 d ago

Sand, I checked the receiver, the resolution was running 1080i.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.7K Messages

8 d ago

The only programs in 1080p are a few PPV movie.  Most broadcast channels are 1080i or 720.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

8 d ago

You have a Genie and Mini Genie Clients. Those are not SD boxes as SD boxes were discontinued years ago. The H in the model refers to HD, with C being Clients (extensions of the Genie).

Verify that HDMI from box to TV is free of debris and secure on both ends.

Make sure that coax to box is finger tight.

Try changing HDMI ports on the TV as well as HDMI cord.

Swap the Mini Genie for another and see if problem follows box or stays with TV.

Make sure Mini Genie is not plugged into a "smart" power strip.

If TV has HDMI-CEC, turn it off.

Couple settings to check:

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Display > Preferences and make sure that Guide HD Channels are set to "Hide SD Duplicates" and not "Hide HD Channels" or "Show All Channels" to make sure you're not pulling in the SD version.

.... Display > Resolution and verify that the highest resolution your TV supports is checked.

You can also do a red button reset on the Client or pull power for a minute. As TV doesn't have a reset button, then full power cycle is the only option there.

Never "upgrade" to fix a technical issue. If it turns out the box is the problem, then a warranty replacement is $19.95 delivery and does not renew your service agreement.

Outside of technical issue, there are a couple upgrade options to consider.

1. Upgrade a Mini Genie to an HDDVR. Would gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and increased reliability as is not solely dependent on Genie to work. Still shares recording list with others, but with more independent options.

2. Do a 4K upgrade. This would swap one Client for C61K to be on the 4K TV itself. TV must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS to be compatible with DirecTV's 4K service. Your HR44 would be swapped for the HR54 to be compatible. Recordings do not transfer.

Personally, I would go with option 1 as you get more capability and reliability out of your setup. But regular HDDVRs haven't been made in a few years so might be difficult to get one. The 2nd option would still give you access to the 4K content, but there are only a handful of channels (and some PPVs). But I would hold off on any upgrade until you've either got your issue fixed or decided that it would be better than a warranty replacement. Remember upgrade comes with 24-month agreement.

goldw1800

ACE - Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

7 d ago

@sczeke

You will need a C61K mini to receive 4k as that min is only D*tv receiver that has a 2.0 HDMI connection to match your new 4K tv 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

7 d ago

Yes, the C61K (with HR44 swapped to HR54) would bring in the few 4K channels. But if normal HD channels are coming in as SD, which is the root issue, then it is best to fix the cause before deciding on an upgrade so there is not a continuing issue.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.7K Messages

7 d ago

The OP said they are not interested in 4K at this time.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

7 d ago

@shannon02 

Correct. I was clarifying for @goldw1800 that regardless of interest in 4K (now or later), the issue is channels appearing as SD which is a technical issue, not a need for an upgrade.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

6 d ago

Either a defective TV or just some setting not matching. Either way, congratulations on getting it working. Especially without going through an upgrade that wasn't needed.

Those customer support reps need to address root cause, not go to upgrade as the only solution. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.