Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

J

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, February 12th, 2023 3:48 PM

Picture issue with stream device on startup

I have a Sony KD65X750H connected to a DirecTV stream device. Every day when we first turn the TV on, there is no picture. The stream device is on and we hear sound, but there is no picture, we can't even see any onscreen menus.

We have tried updating TV and device software, resetting the device, changing HDMI cables, and  changing HDMI ports. We've checked the internet connection, more than recommended speed. They even sent us a replacement stream device when we first reported the issue, but after setting that up we still had the issue. I also turned off any sleep/standby mode settings I could. The only thing that works is unplugging the TV and plugging back in, but we don't really consider that a solution because it takes up to a few minutes for the TV to start back up that way.

I just chatted with DirecTV support. The only thing they said they can do is send another device, but they insist it's a problem with the TV and not their device. But we never had this issue before getting DirecTV Stream, and I have to think someone else has had a similar problem.

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

2 years ago

Most likely an HDMI "handshake" issue between the TV and your DirecTV Stream box. What happens if leave the DirecTV Stream box ON and they cycle the TV's power? You might also need to check the "HDMI CEC" control settings on the TV and/or DirecTV box. 

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for responding. Turning the power off and back on via the stream device remote (also programmed to control TV and sound bar) turns the box off as well. I tried using the Sony TV remote both when the issue occurs and at the end of the day, but it does not correct the issue. I notice that a few seconds after I turn the TV off with the TV remote the stream device also powers off, even though that remote is not programmed to control the stream device. Unplugging the TV and plugging it back in is the only fix we have right now.

I see the HDMI CEC settings for my TV, image attached. Should I change any of those settings?

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

2 years ago

The fact that your DirecTV Stream box powers OFF when you turn OFF the TV suggests that HDMI CEC is controlling their power settings. Your issue is likely caused by timing delay during power ON with the TV or DirecTV box not properly completely the HDMI handshake. This is a copy protection thing. 

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks. Should I change any of these settings?

ACE - Sage

• 

45.9K Messages

2 years ago

Try turning OFF both CEC and TV auto power on. See if that helps. Also look for that setting on the DirecTV Stream box. 

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

I turned off CEC on the TV. I didn't find CEC settings in the stream device menu, but we will see what happens tomorrow and provide an update. Thanks again.

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

settings---system--remotes/devices---program your remote----HDMI-CEC setting is in there

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks, found it. HDMI-CEC Volume Control was already set to off. Power Off Devices is set to On. I am turning that off.

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

any updates on this solution ?  I just received my 3rd box replacement and it still doesn't work right

ACE - New Member

• 

3.3K Messages

2 years ago

Are you sure ALL HDMI CEC settings on your tv are off? Do you have a spare tv in the house you can try the Dtv Stream box on---just to see if it is the box---or your tv.

CEC--off

Device auto power off----off

TV auto power on---off

(edited)

1 Message

6 months ago

Having the same issue.  It's not my wifi. Fire stick works fine.  It's direct tv streaming device.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.