Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

S

Thu, Jul 15, 2021 1:07 AM

Offer of 1/2 off DirecTV monthly bill for 2 years?

Received a call offering me 2 years of 1/2 off my DirecTV bill. When I indicated I was interested, I was switched through various operators each telling how much my patience was appreciated.  Finally reach a fellow with a very, very thick Indian accent who presented the following offer:

1. Get 1/2 off my DirecTV bill for 2 years (savings of $80 per month)
  2. Get three free premium channels.  This required me to go to my TV, turn it on and go to channel 552 which was some strange movie channel; then go to channel 559. I don't have that channel, oh well don't worry I have turned on three premium channels for you.
  3. To get this offer I must pay the first 4 months, $320, today.  The remaining months will be billed at $80.
  4. Now, to make this payment I must go to a store (walgreens, target, cvs, etc.) and purchase an EBAY card for $320 and then call ATT billing at 877-349-0424 and they would apply the $320 to the the next 4 months bills.
  5. This offer is only good for the next 24 hours, when do you think you can get this done?
  6. Oh and if you complete this in 24 hours, we will give you a debit card for $100.

I was on the phone for about 30 minutes.

I think this was a scam and am pleased I wasted so much of his time!

Anyone else get this offer?  They did know a lot about my ATT/DirecTV accounts and I need to go change by passcode!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

70 Messages

5 m ago

Scam. DirectTV scams like this are very common. Anytime you are asked to get a gift card is a big red flag. Changing your pw is always a good idea.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

516 Messages

5 m ago

SCAM!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

5 m ago

DTV sent these to all receiver in late 2020.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 m ago

Absolute scam. DirecTV never calls to offer a discount. Any specials they have (few and far between these days as too many customers at risk of operating at a loss), would never be at 50% off. Gift cards are a untraceable method of payment (think like cash).

If you gave any personal info then watch your credit and accounts like a hawk. Any gift cards given, well that money is lost now.

4 m ago

I just received a phone call regarding my bill. It was about a promotional offer to lower my monthly payment to 59.99 if I pay $240 up front to secure the first 4 months. The instructions were to purchase a Apple prepaid card and put the $240 on it and call the following number to pay. [EDITED per Community Guidelines - Spam removed]. Is this a legitimate offer?

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Call for Promotion to lower bill is it legit?
JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

516 Messages

SCAM scam SCAM scam SCAM!!!

No, it is not a legitimate offer.

Any offer that requires prepay by a gift card IS A SCAM!!!

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Thank you. I figured as much.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

15.3K Messages

DTV sent these to all receivers in late 2020.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 m ago

How does one stop the 5 to 7 robo scam calls per day offering this same discount ?  I've tried blocking the numbers and they always call back on a different number. I tried blowing a whistle when they get on the phone and I've asked politely 100 times for them to take me off their call list. Nothing works. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

70 Messages

4 m ago

Don't answer the phone and just delete the call immediately. Easier said than done I know but the fact that the number changes each time makes it very difficult to block because the numbers are likely spoofed and computer generated.

4 m ago

Got a similar offer yesterday.  $30 off for two years, but I must make an immediate payment of $100 (which was later reduced to $80).  Didn't get so far as to discuss payment methods before I decided it was a scam and hung up.  Agree that they knew a lot about my ATT/DirecTV account.  I wonder if they got that by hacking DirecTV, or if they hacked my email and looked at the billing email.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

4 m ago

Little bit of data collected here, a little bit of scam there, finally selling all that collected data in bulk and there you go. Doesn't have to be from a single place. The more info they have the more their arsenal grows, and some are just good at social engineering to make you think they have some of the information when they actually tricked you in providing in first.

• 

2 Messages

4 m ago

yep. and also called what i thought was a legitimate website and was trying to charge more than what AT&T's website said. if it is to good to be true it usually is. #1 thing NEVER send anyone gift cards or your debit info. 

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.
New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.