Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

Jedi-Yogi's profile

Contributor

Monday, February 24th, 2020 1:48 AM

Genie 2 HS17-500 status light keeps blinking green to Orange and Back to Green.

Hello, may I ask if it possible to use Coax cable's with the genie 2 if you have a long-distance? I live I have an upstairs room and the genie 2 server is downstairs in the back bedroom. I know the server should be in a central area but our house setup does not allow for this. I am unable to move to sever closer to the middle of the house and unable to move my mini receiver closer to the sever. As a result to this my receiver has been rebooting up to 10 ten times per days or more. I have two options I can see at this point, either I can try to move my receiver and use a 30-foot HMDI Cable or if I can use a Coax Cable.

Nevermind I guess were gonna buy anther tower, I hope it does not need to be plugged on our internet as I have no means for that up in my room.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

4 years ago

Yes, coax can be used up 150 ft. but you will have to get a wired mini or add another WVB to connect to a C41/61W mini and no you can't get another HS17 as DTV only allows one per account.

(edited)

Contributor

ok thanks, do you have a link to this WVB so I know what to ask for when we att.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

4 years ago

Contributor

Are kidding me, that what we had with our old receivers before we upgraded and the att guy took that away. So now we have to call up and get another one geesh. The reason we upgrade is that we upgrade our cox internet to the gigablast package and our DirecTV receivers stopped working. So we called att to upgrade so we got the genie 2. since then my mini receiver light blinks green to orange. I looked it up and it has to do with the video signal strength yet I can watch tv without an issue. At night's my receivers would reboot 5 to 10 times a night, we then pressed the red buttons on the sever tower and receivers because I got the error message not connected to the server. My receiver still reboots while watching tv or a recording. Will that video bridge work with the genie 2 and is Docsis 3.1 compatible.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

The Genie-2 (HS17) is the first box to have the wireless video bridge (WVB) built-in to connect to any wireless clients (C41W or the new C61W). The WVB is an owned accessory that tech should not have taken. If they truly did take the WVB (which you would only have if you had wireless clients to begin with), then call DirecTV and submit a complaint on the appointment for owned equipment taken.

As a caution, the Genie-2 only allows clients. So you cannot have other receivers. With a regular Genie and 2 HDDVRs you have 9 tuners, more than the hard cap of 7 the Genie-2 has. And if for some reason you have want of wireless clients that are too far away from a shared central point, you can have 2 WVBs installed. Though wired is always preferred per the nature of the technology.

No matter what model the main box is, be it Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54, HR54R1), Genie Lite (H44), or Genie-2 (HS17), you can only have 1 as it works as a server. They have tried in testing, but even 2 servers caused too many conflicts so they kept the setup to only allow 1. But regular HDDVRs (HR20 thru HR24, and special R22) are allowed with all but the HS17 since they work with Whole Home DVR without being a server themselves. More tuners that way, plus not resulting in a single point of failure (Genie goes down then all clients go with it as they cannot work by themselves).

The only (minimal) benefit the HS17 has over a regular Genie setup is it supports 2 clients (C61K) at a time using a 4K channel, where the HR54/HR54R1 only supports 1. With only a couple channels in 4K, plus a few PPVs, this is too much loss for too little gain (in my opinion).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

As a note, do not confuse the WVB with the wireless Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). Also an owned accessory, the purpose the CCK is to connect an HDDVR to home internet. Starting with the 2nd generation Genie (HR44) this has been built-in. Plus the external only supported 2.4Ghz, but the internal also supports 5Ghz as well. Still wired preferred by either Deca, powerline adapter, or direct Ethernet.

If you had a non-Genie setup before and the tech took the external CCK, that was still wrong. Though you couldn't use it anymore (Whole Home DVR only uses 1 CCK for the entire system), you could have passed it on to someone who didn't have a Genie setup.

So whether it was the WVB or CCK, it was an owned accessory that the tech should not have taken without explicit permission.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.

*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

Ok well, I am so confused now, I have no idea what to do. I can tell you this though, we had 3 regular DVR's then we had a swim device. I wish I could tell you the model numbers of them but I can't recall.

We just need something that works with our gigablast internet and that can work with our home.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

If you had 3 regular HDDVRs (models HR20 thru HR24) then you did not have a WVB as they can't use it. You would have had the wireless CCK, which is replaced by internal one of the Genie-2 (HS17). Still tech shouldn't have taken an owned accessory.

Sorry about the downgrade got going from independent processing to a setup with a hard cap and less overall capability.

You didn't need to upgrade boxes because of your internet. Upgrading one to a regular Genie would have increased your capability, but still has nothing to do with internet compatibility.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.