Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

K

Tuesday, January 21st, 2020 5:14 PM

How to get a Genie Mini? Confusing info and costs

I don't know why it is so hard to get a 2nd TV hooked up. Am I missing something?

Yesterday I decided it would be nice to have a 2nd TV so I did an online chat with Directv and told the rep I wanted to order a Mini to add to my Genie DVR. I was told that it would be $7/mo and no other charges. Since I had installed a wireless mini at my mom's house about a year ago, I said that I did not need installation.

This morning I see an email confirming an installation appointment for this afternoon. I called Directv and told them that I did not request installation. The rep cancelled the appointment, but told me there was an additional $19.95 activation fee and a 12-month commitment added to my existing contract. The person the day before did not mention that even when I asked specifically if there were any other charges. (I have the chat transcript.)

About 30 minutes later, an installation person called to confirm the installation. I told him that I had cancelled it, but he said I cannot self-install a hardwired Mini. I told him that I did not realize that it was hardwired and that I wanted a wireless one. He said that to have a wireless one, I would have to have an installer come out to add a "video bridge" to my DVR.

I called Directv back and they transferred me to a technician who confirmed that an installation call was required. Then she said that I would have to agree to 24 more months added to my contract. But she said there is no such thing as an activation fee. I cancelled the whole thing because I really have no idea what it costs and what is involved.

Does anyone know what is actually involved in adding a 2nd TV? Can't I add one TV without 2 years more on my contract??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

Upgrades of equipment, which include adding an additional TV, will always come with a 24 month service agreement. This is because you are getting leased equipment that is either discounted from retail value or free. There is no purchase to own option, as DirecTV did away with that when the 1st Genie launched.

If you have a regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54), then the first wireless Client is not self-install. This is because it requires a wireless video bridge (WVB) hardwired into the coax to server as the antenna. The WVB is a setup and purchase (not leased) of $99. Later wireless Clients may be drop shipped, which is $19.95 delivery. Sometimes a tech appointment which normally is $99, might only charge the delivery which would be the $19.95 and certainly is not an activation fee.

The Genie-2 (HS17) has the WVB built-in, so in theory even the 1st wireless Client should be able to be shipped. Like the regular Genie line you can always install another traditional WVB if you need to expand coverage in the home, but that would require tech install of course. Per built-in restrictions, and some lingering bugs not completely squashed, the HS17 server tower is not recommended.

If you have the regular Genie, it is better to do a HDDVR. Gain 2 tuners and 500GB recording space. Remember a Client steals a tuner from the Genie, and if the main box goes down then all Clients go with it, but full receivers do not. Recordings still shareable of course. And there is no monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR (or even HD non-DVR) as it is $7 for the additional TV regardless.

If you don't have a free upgrade, the one-time lease cost of an HDDVR is $199 and Client is $99. Since WVB is a purchase of $99 even with a free upgrade then HDDVR saves money, and if upgrade is not free then it is more bang for your buck as one-time costs are essentially the same (Client $99 + WVB $99 = $198).

To summarize:

Upgrade/additional TV always has 24 month agreement.

Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) is $99 owned accessory (not covered by a free upgrade).

WVB needed by Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54)

Genie-2 (HS17) has WVB built-in (but this server tower has other concerns)

If not free upgrade, one-time lease cost is $199 HDDVR or $99 Client.

Delivery is $19.95, sometimes all that is charged for a tech installed upgrade.

Additional TV is $7 monthly.

Thank you for the info. Neither of the reps I spoke to when ordering the Mini even mentioned a WVB - I only heard of that from the installer who called me. I guess they would have sprung that on me after he was standing in my house. That is bait and switch.

I am glad I cancelled the whole thing. A friend gave me her old tv when she got a new one so I thought it might be nice to use it with Directv. $7/mo would have been ok, but I am not going to spend a bunch of extra for it and I am certainly not going to chain myself to Directv forever. I'll just use the tv to stream and watch DVDs instead. I wonder how long this business model is going to work for Directv now that there are other options?

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

well its been working for how long?

over 15% of the population has 2 choices dish or directv

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Oct 28, 2019 - AT&T lost more than 1.3 million TV customers in Q3 2019 as its nosedive in both the traditional pay-TV and online-streaming markets continued.

AT&T today reported a net loss of 1,163,000 customers in the premium TV category, which includes DirecTV satellite and U-verse wireline TV services. That number is slightly worse than the customer loss that AT&T warned investors was coming last month. AT&T today also reported a net loss of 195,000 customers of AT&T TV Now, the online streaming video service formerly known as DirecTV Now.

The latest losses leave AT&T with 20.4 million satellite-and-wireline TV subscribers and 1.1 million streaming subscribers. AT&T has lost nearly 5 million satellite-and-wireline TV customers since the end of 2016, when it had a total of 25.3 million subscribers in that category. AT&T has lost more than 700,000 streaming customers over the past year since hitting a peak of 1.86 million in Q3 2018. (Article on arstechnica.com)

I guess it will last as long as it lasts......

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

If you don't want to spend additional for the equipment, don't go wireless. Use a free upgrade to get an HDDVR. More bang for your buck on that $7 monthly. Yes it would come with a 24 month agreement. Free or one-time lease of $199 is discounted from the old $499 when purchase to own was optional (no difference in monthly cost). So even if you don't complete the full 24 months, you only pay and ECF based on how much you had left ($20 per month).

Doesn't tie you to DirecTV forever, but would suggest to keep past 14 months so that the ECF would be less than the one-time cost of HDDVR, just to still have gotten a savings in the end.

Until there is decent baseline of internet to support streaming countrywide, so to all the rural areas, satellite TV will last for a long time to come. Also when my internet goes down, I still have TV and vice versa as they are not all through one delivery method. If both go down, well then I have bigger issues to worry about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Just to put an exclamation point on this whole thing... I had also ordered a new remote control because some buttons stopped working. On the phone they told me it was $15. When the order confirmation came via email it was $25! Of course that got cancelled with the rest of the order so I came back and spent 15 minutes jumping around on the website trying to figure out how to order a remote. Could not find any way to do that so I Googled it. (Edited per community guidelines)? I can order two remotes on Amazon for $6.50!

(edited)

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

4 years ago

adding a mini/reciever/dvr adds 2 years to the contract

mini is $99

wireless video bridge is $99

service call required

IF you have the hs17 genie, it has the wvb built in

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

had a friend get a 4K mini installed the mini was 99 bucks and the install was 49 bucks.. when i signed up i requested 2 4k mini's as that was the smart way to do it for me being a new customer!!! and i can't see paying good money for stuff that i don't own....

(edited)

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.