Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

M

Tuesday, June 30th, 2020 3:17 AM

Multi-switch for Directv receivers

My Zinwell 6 x 16 Multi-switch Part # WB616 has been discontinued.  I need a replacement.  Can you make a recommendation?

Employee

• 

144 Messages

4 years ago

I couldn’t find the 6x16 anywhere, but there is an alternative solution. Instead of the 6x16 you can use two 6x8 Zinwell switches. To do this you will need the two switches and four 2-way power passing splitters (links to product I found included below). Each line from the dish, there should be 4 lines, goes to a splitter. From each splitter one line goes to switch #1 and the other line goes to switch #2. Also included below is a picture of the products mentioned. 

Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I1NUGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-vR-EbJRETTCR

2-Way power passing splitter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TV2LZCP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_AyR-Eb1MFKJ5X

Thank  you for the help.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

4 years ago

Since that is the older multiswitch, what are the models of your boxes and what dish do you have? Just in case there is anything else you need to be prepared for with your setup.

The dish is an 18 x 20 LNB SWM3

receivers are

HR24-20

HR20-700

H20-100

D10-300

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

The D10 will be obsolete when DTV finishes shutting down the MPEG2 channels.

You are only using 6 tuners and a standard SWM LNB can handle 8 tuners and the newest has 13 tuners so there is no need to use a Zinwell 6x16 as a SWM8 module will work also.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.6K Messages

@mwhelan 

With 2 DVRs and 2 not, you have 6 tuners total.

However, that D10 is very obsolete. DirecTV has been doing a complete shutdown of their MPEG-2/SD-only feeds. Plus that box is not compatible with SWM (D12 was the only SD non-DVR that could work on SWM).

You will need to call DirecTV for their complimentary MPEG swap. The most direct swap would be an H25, but they have been providing their recent Genies (HR44 or HR54) in the swap program. It should result in replacing the H20 (not compatible with a Genie setup unlike all other H/HR models) with a Mini Genie Client to be compatible as well. Check the order confirmation to verify all is as expected (no cost or service agreement). This will include any new cabling, dish, or multiswitch as needed in the home.

So you should end up with Genie (5 tuners, 1TB hard drive), Mini Genie Client (takes a tuner from Genie), HR24 (2 tuners), and HR20 (2 tuners) for a total of 9 tuners that the tech will make sure your setup supports.

As a note if that HR20 ever goes out, just call DirecTV for a warranty replacement. You would get an HR24 (only regular HDDVR left in stock), which has the larger hard drive (Starting with HR22 they increased from 320GB to 500GB).

(edited)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

4 years ago

https://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv-large-installations.php

Try this they say they are in stock.

I don't think you can use any splitters before the SWM modules as they don't pass the 13v/18v needed to power the transponders.

(edited)

Employee

• 

144 Messages

You may split the signal coming from a legacy dish (4-6 cables) as many times as needed before the multiswitch. The splitters used must pass power through all ports for this to work. The signal cannot, however, be split after the 6x8 multiswitch because tuners on a legacy system cannot be split. We typically only do this when setting up multiple multi-switches or swim modules off one dish for an apartment, example of one of these I built below. These are 2 swim30 modules fed by dual power passing splitters used on one dish at the end of a small apartment building.

*I am a DIRECTV employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent DIRECTV's position, strategies or opinions.

Thank you.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.