Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums

Connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

M

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, February 18th, 2020 2:04 AM

ON DEMAND not downloading - error messages

Had directv installed for five days and continuing back and forward conversations (arguments) with CenturyLink and Directv about no "On Demand" access. We receive error messages that no programs match the filter. The directv box says it;s connected directly to the CL router and that the speed is okay. It appears to me could be one of three problems. (1) it's a port/firewall issue configured on the CL router, (2) there is a hardware/softwre issue with the dvr, or (3) the directv on demand is just a piece of (Edited per community guidelines) and they sell smoke and mirrors.

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

5 years ago

More likely the firewall/anti virus on the router or the proper ports are not open.

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

5 years ago

What are the models of each DirecTV box you have?

Do they each have the problem?

How are you connecting to your home internet? (WiFi, direct Ethernet, deca from coax, etc.)

Do you have more than 1 box serving as the connection?

Is this a modem/router combo or separate boxes? (what model?)

What is your subscribed (up-to) internet speed and what do you get on average?

At what point are you getting the error message?

Is this for all On Demand content, or just certain channels?

What troubleshooting has already been tried?

Any other issues?

Though On Demand certainly could use some improvements, 5 days unable to connect would not be the norm. So want to find out where the actual cause is.

• 

1 Message

What are the models of each DirecTV box you have? HR54/700. Not sure what the small box in the bedroom is.

Do they each have the problem? Yes

How are you connecting to your home internet? (WiFi, direct Ethernet, deca from coax, etc.) Wireless connection to CenturyLink C3000Z modem/router

Do you have more than 1 box serving as the connection? No

Is this a modem/router combo or separate boxes? (what model?) Modem/Router ZyXEL C3000Z, pre-configured firewall IPv4 rules for DirectTV plus other stuff

What is your subscribed (up-to) internet speed and what do you get on average? Wired I get about 800Mbps, about 100Mbps over wireless

At what point are you getting the error message? Two different errors; select on demand, then a network, and then a program from the menu, reports "Sorry! We have no programs at this time that match the filter you selected."

If you select a program from the graphics displayed on the right of the screen, the episode info displays, then if select watch, you get a message; "There was a problem connecting to Directv. Please try again later."

Is this for all On Demand content, or just certain channels? ALL

What troubleshooting has already been tried? Nothing, other than bouncing a box or two.

My suspicion was a firewall issue, but I opened up all the ports and still the same problem. I've yet to find anyone at AT&T that actually can tell me what ports are required for Direct TV

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

HR54 is the 3rd generation Genie. Most likely the small box is a Mini Genie (model starting with 'C') which is an extension of it (Client as opposed to a full receiver).

Assuming you are using the built-in WiFi of the Genie, are you connected by the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

Hmm though wireless would expect to be below wired, that is quite the drop going from 800Mbps to 100Mbps. How far away is the HR54 from the modem/router? Are there a lot of walls or other electronic devices (like a Microwave) in-between (or close to the direct route from one to the other)? Wondering if there is information being lost between the two causing a communication issue.

First I would verify your modem/router is current on firmware. Then do a full power cycle (unplugging power, not just a simple reset). Once internet is verified back on, on the HR54 go into the menu and in internet settings under advanced reset network defaults. Make sure not to use a reconnect option just from the first menu as they will try to use some of the current settings, which are not working. Then do the power cycle for the HR54 (Mini will be unavailable during this time). Guide info will dump with a power cycle (will not affect currently scheduled recordings) and will download the info from the satellite fresh.

Once TV is back up, then go to www.directv.com/refresh which will refresh the service authorizations. Just to be sure it is current to allow your On Demand content. Give it a few minutes before connecting the HR54 back to your internet. Make sure to use the menu option in the HR54, not the WPS of the router. From my experience (specifically with CenturyLink boxes), WPS settings don't stay in sync and if the SSID is hidden it can randomly disconnect.

Guide from satellite and On Demand should be fully populated again within 24 hours. If needed at this point, try switching from 2.4 to 5Ghz to see if you get better results with one over the other (since you had that big drop in comparable speeds). And of course always reccomended for the modem/router to be up high with no obstructions for best coverage.

If that doesn't fix it, then it most likely is an issue with the WiFi option. Wired is preferred over wireless. Assuming the two aren't well placed to run a direct Ethernet cable, I would consider a powerline adapter. That way you can use your home's existing wiring to serve as the connection. Though it may not reach max speed as direct Ethernet, it normally is much better than wireless and may reach close to max speed. And by nature of the technology wired is a more stable connection. If you try this, make sure it matches your speed options and get a starter kit (comes with 2 as you need one at each device), assuming you don't already have any. I've personally done well with TP-Link, but there are other brands. And of course some have more bells and whistles (power outlet pass through, multiple ports, etc.). Of course do not use this option if your home's electrical wiring is in poor condition.

So try that full reset and refresh to see if that provides a clear connection. Personally I would go wired, even with a powerline adapter to have the most stable connection. But of course want to see if this will get it working with what you already have. Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000, DIRECTV STREAM 1-888-429-4023, or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not a DIRECTV employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.